How to keep an Alum block?

Hello all.

I've been using those little alum fingersticks for a few years, whenever I've nicked myself, but have only recently been tuned in to the more general astringent and tonifying proeprties of alum.

So I've invested a couple of bob in a block. And it's arrived wrapped in plastic, but nowt else.

Any advice on how to keep it so that it doesn't dissolve in a matter of weeks in the bathroom? Do the containers need to be airtight?

I just make sure that I dry mine well after use and then put it on the top of my bathroom cabinet.

It's not in a container or anything and after 2 years of use I am could easily be convinced that it is still the same size as when I bought it!

As well as a couple of others (good old experimentation!) I still have my original bloc Osma that I bought a year ago, it's reduced in size a bit and it's now very shiney (it gets smoother with use) but it's probably got another year left in it. Oh and I use it as a deo too.
It's been dropped a couple of times knocking chunks out of it, but they smooth down eventually also.

Mine is placed on the bathroom shelf when I'm done. Steam has done it no harm, nor has a damp washbag. It's pretty long lasting sturdy stuff, just don't drop it. :-(

NotTheStig said:
Can't you use the fragments once dropped or does it collapse into grains?
Mine is also on top of bathroom cabinet, partially unwrapped

Get a little spray bottle fill it with water and dissolve the grains into it........instant deo spray.......;)

I keep mine on a bit of plastic on the windowsill. It's survived a drop onto the tiles so far and 6 months on apart from the accidental vandalism it looks like I've barely touched it.

I bought my first one in August last year, I apply it to my chops along its longest axis and I'm about half way through it, so perhaps I'm a bit too vigourous with it! I keep mine in the handy wooden box it was supplied in after drying it thoroughly.

I just dry mine on a towel and it goes in a small draw with my bottles of Aftershave, I to use it as a deodorant, I haven't used a spray for a long since using Alum, I have also used it effectively on a small area of eczema that I have on my leg, it seems to have worked where conventional creams haven't. It's worth Goggling and reading up on it, it's a cure all product that seems to work.

Ray

I'm on my third block now, the first one I dropped and its went to pieces smaller than useable.

I use the cylinder shaped version from Connaught, which is also very nice as a deodorant.

The key to not dropping it is to keep it as dry as possible. I use it dry on wet skin, and dry it on a towel immediately after using it. If you leave it wet it will "shrink" very fast.

/Max

Same as Max I use the cylinder one from connaught shaving with it's replaceable top just run under hot water after you finish, then dry off with towel, this cylinder one as a very smooth domed top out of all the Alum blocks this would be my choice.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom