ID Help Please - Part 1.

I have 3 razors below (in 3 seperate posts) and I would be grateful if anyone could help me id them and to give an opinion as to whether or not it would be worth sending them off for restoration or not. Also, any information as to their description.

1. I bought this at a car boot sale for £4.One side of the tang says Made in France and the reverse says 42 Garantie Paris:

[attachment=3201][attachment=3202][attachment=3203]

To be continued ........

Part 2.

I bought this off fleaBay for £10. It was made in Germany and the tang says "The Fisher" 107.

[attachment=3208][attachment=3206][attachment=3207]

To be continued ......

Part 3:

I bought this is Prague from an Antique Shop for £15. It seems to be in the best condition of all 3 and came with the matching box:

[attachment=3212][attachment=3211][attachment=3210][attachment=3209]

Thanks for any information you can provide. :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Cheers,
Erik.

Attachments

• France 1.jpg
    France 1.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 13
  • France 2.jpg
    France 2.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 16
  • France 3.jpg
    France 3.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Fisher 1.jpg
    Fisher 1.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Fisher 2.jpg
    Fisher 2.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Fisher 3.jpg
    Fisher 3.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Prague 1.jpg
    Prague 1.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Prague 2.jpg
    Prague 2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Prague 3.jpg
    Prague 3.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Prague 4.jpg
    Prague 4.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 8
Hello Erik!

All three were good quality razors in their time. The first one by an unknown maker - the 'Garanti' part only means 'warranted' or 'guaranteed' - not a makers name. They are usually very sound razors and give a good shave. This one looks a bit encrusted though and would cost a fair bit to restore, and even then it would still be pitted. Might just be best to clean it up as much as you can yourself and get it honed if it looks half reasonable.

The Fisher was a very good brand, made at the Fischerwerkes in Solingen, Germany. Same case as above as regards condition.

The last one is by another good german maker, obviously made for an agent in Prague, Czech Republic. Like you say, it looks to be in the best condition of the three.

You really need to examine the bevel closely under a loupe (20x - 30x) to make sure there are no unexpected surprises, and put a straight edge along the cutting edge (rolling along any gentle smiles if necessary) to make sure there are no frowns.

Another thing to look for is any uneven wear on bevel and spine - especially a thick bevel/lot of spine wear in the middle on one side and little spine wear accompanied by a very thin or no visible bevel on the other side - this sort of wear often accompanies a frown at the bevel (the reverse of a smile - a narrowing rather than a thickening of the width in the middle - if in doubt smiles are good if there isn't a lot of wear at the tip and frwns are bad).

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom