identification

[attachment=10437][attachment=10438][attachment=10439]

Hi guys i aquirred this wilkinson razor, can anyone help me with identification, and also if there is a modern blade that might fit.

regards rob

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34
I'm not sure but it looks to be missing a piece.
However, I hear that the Wilko takes a modded SE blade, something like removing the back tab or snipping the back corners off, something like that.
Someone with more know-how will be along shortly.

Greetings

It is a Wilkinson Pall Mall razor I openly admit I do not know much about them as I have avoided them in the belief (which may be erroneous) that you cannot adapt any modern blade that is available to fit them unlike the Wilkinson Empire Model.

They were designed to take a Hollow ground blade that needed honing and stropping like a straight razor and indeed many similar early safety razors. If you do not have the expertise and kit to do this I think you are sunk with this razor albeit it would not be difficult to drop on to a couple of the blades on e-bay but it still leaves you with the problem of the initial honing and then the ongoing maintenance

This site tells you a bit about them http://wilkinsonrazors.blogspot.co.uk/ and I think Paul (pjgh) may have one in which case he will advise.

Regards
Dick.

Cheers for the input guys, when i first saw it, i thought something might be missing too, but on closer inspection i think it is complete, i tried a blade from a empire, but it was not deep enough, so i am thinking..1 it had a earlier design of the wedge blade, or 2 the empire wedge blade in a holder perhaps.

regards rob

Ah! You got it, did you? The junk bundled in with the cased Gillette?

Yeah, Wilko Roller Safety Razor. I'll need my notes, but it's an earlier one ... up to 1920, I think. It's all there, just needs a blade. Back in those days you'd get a full sized wedge or hollow ground. You can get these more readily from Heljestrand safety razors of the period.

GEMs and Feathers should fit ...

So long as they fit in between the front hooks, the back spring will hold it in place.

The remainder of the "kit" would be some blades, stropper and strop. Some came with an odd looking contraption that ran up and down the strop, others had a captor that fitted into the end of the handle and acted as a stropper that you drew up and down the strop.

This type of razor is well worth hanging onto.

Find some proper blades and someone to pre-hone them for you. Meanwhile, play with the GEMs.

Have fun! If you ever want to sell it, I'm right here ... I love these much earlier contraptions. They're not a lot of use to most, but if you have the right attitude, you're in for some fun.

A bit late to spot this, but in case it's of interest, I have a full Pall Mall 7 day set with a decent strop. The blades are a bit grubby so I will eventually (other projects allowing) clean them up and hone them. I've decided I have to sacrifice the markings on the blade faces and buff them up to a nice shine, but I will leave the day names on the spines.
The above information is correct, I use mine with a Gem blade and it gives a very decent shave. Just clips in and away you go.
When the restore is complete I will post some pics and a small commentary (sometime this decade hopefully!).

Back
Top Bottom