iKon OSS - first thoughts

THIS to me is a razor which is very fussy on what blade it uses. Or perhaps its me.

It arrived on Saturday just as I was leaving to go to the caravan, so I stashed it in the door pocket of the car and set off up to Westmorland. I had purpously not had a shave that morning hoping it would turn up.

Anyway, first evening, loaded up a Gillette Bleue Extra and away I went. Shaved first with the OC side, then with the straight bar side, then again with the OC side as I wasnt happy with the result.
Still want happy with the result.
Next day used the Bleue again, again want impressed with the shave, so binned the bleue and switched to a Thai Thin (which was the only other type of blade I had with me). Better.

Stuck with the Thai for three days then switched today to a 1970's New Wilkinson Sword - Whooooooeeee!
BBS in two passes.

Now the problem is I have about 40 WS blades, 200 Bleues and about 400 Thins (plus a couple of hundred yellows and a handful of others I havent tried yet). But it does seem to me that the OSS gives very different results depending on the blade and I cant say I have had this issue to this extent with any other razor. Weird.

Next up will be trying it with a Feather blade. Wish me luck because the OSS is as heavy as the moon, and that with a Feather can only lead to open chin surgery.

I too like you when't through a learning curve with the OSS, now I have settled on a blade of choice with this razor.
"Voskhod" I can get 4 or 5 shave with it.

And I tend to agree due to the weight of the razor, no pressure is required at all.

The workmanship (Greg @iKon) is fantastic, second to none.

Charles U.K

I don't have this issue with mine, I use my favourite blades - Super thins and Perma Sharp - both deliver great results.

Using the open comb first pass, then onto the closed side for an XTG to finsih. Reult = bbs

On thing I have recently discovered is the angle for the open comb side needs to be quite steep. I don't have too much sensitivity when putting splash on now.

Father Ted, did you have an original Bulldog O/C razor, if so how does this compare ?
My Bulldog O/C seems to like most blades, where as I have an SK9 that I just could not get on with, so it sits in its box a bit un-loved............maybe I should give it another go...........or not ?

missingskin said:
Father Ted, did you have an original Bulldog O/C razor, if so how does this compare ?
I had both the OC and Standard.

The OC I found overly agressive for myself - this one seems markedly less so - the nearest to the OSS open comb for me has to be the long comb Gillette New.

The original iKon Standard to me was milder than a Gillette Tech with the same weight handle, and in the end I passed it on and contented myself with a tech with a heavy handle. In comparison the OSS seems a tad more aggressive than the old standard.
Its all subjective of course and as with any new razor its a learning curve to see how it fits the face and how you need to hold it to get the sweet spot.

Its early days, but Im really not sure about this razor and me and whether its the start of a beautiful friendship or not - a lot depends on how it acts with the other blades in my stash.

Back
Top Bottom