Junior Shave

Junior...

Taken on Fuji Neopan 400 film using a Mamiya C330 TLR w 80mm F2.8 lens.

Developed in Rodinal and scanned.

4655054131_c8064505ba.jpg

Thank you.

Do you shoot in RAW or JPG on your SLT? I haven't kept up much with digital in the last 18 months so I'm assuming you use a Sony?

Yes a Sony, I go to and fro with RAW, but it is mostly JPEG. I've a Sony A58 which has a nice black and white mode that also picks out you selected primary colour.

Like this.

[attachment=9216]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388686811.350662.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388686811.350662.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 22
It's a bit of a quandary, having a digital camera but choosing only to shoot in B+W. Don't Lecia have an exclusively B+W digital model on the market at the moment?

Personally I prefer to shoot in RAW when using digital and then doing the conversion in Lightroom afterwards because it just gives you more choice and control.

When it comes to film I typically shoot B+W as its much easier to develop. I personally prefer it to digital B+W also, I rarely manage to get a digital B+W conversion that competes with the sheer beauty and honesty of B+W film.

jb74 said:
It's a bit of a quandary, having a digital camera but choosing only to shoot in B+W. Don't Lecia have an exclusively B+W digital model on the market at the moment?

Personally I prefer to shoot in RAW when using digital and then doing the conversion in Lightroom afterwards because it just gives you more choice and control.

When it comes to film I typically shoot B+W as its much easier to develop. I personally prefer it to digital B+W also, I rarely manage to get a digital B+W conversion that competes with the sheer beauty and honesty of B+W film.

I have Photoshop Elements 11, but rarely use it. It only gets used for touching up and the odd conversion so having the B&W setting is good for me. I've just purchased a 32mg High sped SD card so I will have to try and use RAW more often. The Sony does give the opportunity of RAW and JPEG as well as RAW or JPEG.

Thanks folks. The Mamiya C330 is a bellows based TLR camera which gives you almost macro-like capabilities and is fantastic at large apertures for the sort of effect that ptso mentions.

Photoshop Elements 11 is decent.. great for the basic touch ups. I used to use Photoshop a lot back in the day, but since turning purist in terms of the amount of adjusting I like to do I typically use Lightroom.

My avatar is digital.. taken on my Fuji X100 and convert to B+W in Lightroom using a preset. Again, it's junior taking an interest in Dad's shaving gear. I let him shave away with no blade in the razor, but have taken care to tell him never to try it unattended, just in case there is a blade in the razor.

9466129489_066c9c86bb_z.jpg

Photoshop Elements 11 is decent.. great for the basic touch ups. I used to use Photoshop a lot back in the day, but since turning purist in terms of the amount of adjusting I like to do I typically use Lightroom.

[/quote]

I know how you feel about using photo editing. I've a friend who's a pro landscape photographer, he's well published but he is always saying how he's been "processing" shots. He says he likes natural un edited shots but I do wonder how much he does adjust things.

Northam Saint said:
I know how you feel about using photo editing. I've a friend who's a pro landscape photographer, he's well published but he is always saying how he's been "processing" shots. He says he likes natural un edited shots but I do wonder how much he does adjust things.

Digitally photographed landscapes are the most challenging to get right, you have no control over anything other than the composition. There's no doubt that a relatively large amount of landscape photos taken on digital cameras nowadays require some post processing attention.

I used to do my fare share of landscapes... but between all the driving and dependency on the weather it eventually just became tedious and boring for me. It is rewarding though when mother natures does her bit to make a great scene with some great light and cloud.

One of my faves, taken at The Burrow, Rosslare, Co. Wexford.

3492896275_1c6f8ea366_z.jpg

Go down here on a bleak, cold day and this same scene looks terrible. But with some night light and cloud it just comes to life.

Whenever anyone makes a comment regarding editing digital shots I tell them this, well when I used 35mm I still edited the photo I just did in the darkroom by using filters dodging out and burning in there are very few great photo's that haven't had a little tweak somewhere down the line, at the end of the day I like to think that just like fine Art painting or sculpture where the artist alters the image adds or subtracts whatever so I think if the photographer can add a little something more to the photo by editing it then he should do.

These are a few character studies I did a few years ago using 35mm film I can't remember off the top of my head but I think I used Ilford black and white a Canon EOS SLR these had very little or no editing.

Ah, the old post processing chestnut.

For me post processing should be about touching up. For others the creative process only really begins at this stage.

Digital editing can be an entirely different animal. Yes, some of the basics are the same.. but lines get crossed when items that didn't exist in the original photo suddenly find their way into a scene e.g. dropping in a nice sky or a moon.

I can't stand composites like this. For me, from a photography perspective, they are not an actual reflection of reality. You can call it digital art, but for me it isn't photography.

Anyway, nuff said about this. You'll find this debate a 1000 times on any photography forum out there.

Nice portraits btw.

Back
Top Bottom