Lamy Safari line width

I have an Ohto Tasche pen, which I think only comes in one size.

Could anyone who has used both pens guide me on how this compares to the Safari pens? My writing is fairly small so I am considering either the fine or extra-fine nibs.

Also, can anyone give any similar guidance on the kaweco sport nibs?

Thanks

Dipesh said:
I found the fine nib to be quite wide compared to a TWSBI fine. If you want fine, I would go EF.

I changed my Lamy nib (vista, but its the same right?) from an F to EF nib and honestly could not tell the difference. I have found that the Lamy lays down a wet line which runs the absolute full width of the nib, this was even with a relatively dry ink like the Pelikan 4001 range.

I already have a TWSBI Mini and was contenplating buying a second, but if you can stretch to 30 quid there's a TWSBI Mini on BST at the moment...

Nico1970 said:
Gents,

I have for sale 1nr used TWSBI Diamond Mini Piston Filling Fountain Pen with an F nib.

The pen has been used lightly and infrequently and has absolutely no dents, dings, bites or scratches. It is in mint used condition.

It comes with all of its original box, instructions, tools and packaging.

I am looking 30GBP all-in delivered UK with Buyer to cover PayPal fees. Item will be sent by RM Second Class Signed-For. If you are an international Buyer, and are interested, please PM and I will advise of additional postage costs (a few extra GBP).

I will personally clean and service the pen before sending.

Further details of the spec can be found here:

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/TW27816/twsbi-diamond-mini-fountain-pen-clear
http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?id=11013

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for looking.

its not really a direct comparison (and I'm new to fountain pens), but I have a Tasche and 2 Jinhaos, (unbeleivable pens for the money!) 1* M and 1* F. The tasche is broader than both.

Unfortunately there is no standard for fountain pen nibs, the fine nib on my Pelikan M805 is a similar size to the medium on my Lamy 2000, and that's a generous medium.

I would contact Cult Pens or The Writing Desk and ask them, they'll be happy to help you.

Chris is correct - there is no absolute 'standard' for FP nibs.

A general[/] rule of thumb though, and certainly from my own experience, is that Japanese (e.g. Sailor, Platinum, Pilot) nibs are 'thinner' by one (if not two degrees) than their European and American counterparts i.e. a Japanese 'M' nib could be similar to a Euro 'F' or 'EF' nib.

Incidentally, Chris mentions above one of the finest pens that (fairly) sensible money can buy - a Pelikan M805. I have an 800 (two-coloured nib) and the 800/805 do write somewhat 'thicker' than what would be considered normal for European pens.

Thanks for all your comments. Please excuse my manners for not replying sooner but I found out my working hours are being slashed so I have been a little pre-occupied. Luxury purchases on hold for the moment.

The tasche always felt like a pretty broad line. I find it foces me to modify my writing but then that may not be a bad thing :)

You may find that in time you prefer a broader nib, I started off liking fines but now like a medium that's on the juicy side. I don't think I'll ever write large enough to go for a broad but you never know. A broader nib certainly shows the ink off better.

Back
Top Bottom