large format Polaroid

Thought I'd share this little technique in case anyone's interested?
PosNeg.jpg

Shot on a large format 5x4 Graflex Speed Graphic from 1950.
Polaroid long since gone sadly, but Fuji make FP-100c which fits the same back and costs about £10 for ten shots.

On the left is a scan of the positive print, the piece of photo paper you unpeel after about 3mins and there it is magically a photo in your hand.
The intent is you chuck away the other parts of the process, some paper bits with gunky chemicals, but inside there is a colour negative film! So you just dry it out for a while, tear off the excess and get a negative. Except you can't see through it as there's a layer of lightproof black coating. A useless negative.....until....you get some Domestos gel, paint it onto the black coat and wait for a minute. This dissolves the black which washes off to reveal a 5x4 colour negative ready for the scanner.

I've shrunk the jpgs down so they fit on here and you might not be able to see but the negative is pin sharp, whereas the print is always slightly soft focus. But what I really like is you get some interesting colour shifts and best of all bits of the paper stay stuck on the neg, just won't shift. Which when scanned give you this great distressed border around the image, and everytime you do one the border is unique.

Check more out on my tumblr if you're interested: http://davidwoodhead.net

Have a friend who used this a while back, pretty cool stuff. He makes his own large format cameras too... bit of a mad scientist.

Where did you purchase the film? Might dust down my 5x4 and give it a try sometime.

This is what you're looking for:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Glossy-100C-Instant-Film/dp/B0000ALLYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392277877&sr=8-1&keywords=fp-100c

Amazon or the auction site are usually cheaper than photography sites, go figure!

Price fluctuates a lot, I have had it for as little as £10, other times had to pay upto £13. Maybe it's become a trading commodity like coffee.

Back
Top Bottom