Lathering soaps

One of the problems arising from constant changes in the rotation of creams, soaps and brushes is maintaining consistency in the amount and quality of lather. I have tended to get variable results when face lathering with soaps.

So I have recently more often followed the approach described by Tony here:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-9003.html

By transferring to lathering in a bowl after loading the brush from the soap I'm able to produce just the lather I'm looking for much more easily. I had particular problems with face lathering directly with Tabac. I'm now getting the creamy cushioning lather that so often eluded me before.

Thanks Tony. Always good to keep your ritual under review.

I agree with you Peter, you can sacrifice consistency when you rotate too often so it's good to get back to basics and occasionally stick to one set up for a prolonged period. Im always glad to hear that tutorial still stands the test of time, as my experience has increased I've also tweaked it along the way.

Must add the face/bowl hybrid method to that, best of both worlds.

i have never matched the quality of lather when face lathering as good as i get in a bowl, so i always bowl lather now. i would highly recommend tony's tutorial to newbies. i have seen people sneer at bowl lathering, esp across the pond on the b & b site. works for me hands down.

rick.

Don't waste the lather on the tile of you Den! Use it on your Mirrors to keep the fog off! The better the soap the less the fogging!

I found that, depending on the brush and soap I use, I have to slightly vary the amount of water I leave in the brush. In general, I find that getting the brush as dry as Tony does reduces the amount I can load - having said that, my brush is noticeably and significantly drier than I see in a lot of Youtube videos, and it's a world away from the "Marco's Method" which is regarded on B&B as being "the method" for loading soaps both of the triple-milled and softer Italian types.

Neither (Marco's or my) method is particularly original but the wet upside down technique is better suited to boar brush and face lathering whereas the wring dry technique is a default method better suited for badger hair and bowl.

antdad said:
Neither (Marco's or my) method is particularly original but the wet upside down technique is better suited to boar brush and face lathering whereas the wring dry technique is a default method better suited for badger hair and bowl.

That's essentially what I found - when I owned a boar brush, I found it hard to load if it was too dry.

Back
Top Bottom