Making a tuckaway razor.

So my 1920-1930 gillette ball end, that I got off the bay has a cracked handle. looks like a common problem, but what to do? I dont want to end up with yet another razor that's not usable. Since the handle is cracked on both ends, I think a custom job is needed, this is what my razor looked like befour work began
20120417142.jpg

finding the end of the cracks, and cutting off the unusable parts with a pipe cutter
20120418144h.jpg

to get the size I wanted, now the problem of how to get the ends back into the handle. Sorry did not take pictures for this bit.... using a vice(with protection for the parts) and a butane blow tourch heating the handle and tighting the vice(used like a press) both ends went into the handle with no problems. I think you can see why no picks, don't want to go to the A&E with burns that will be a intresting one to tell the nurse......so Now my razor looks like this
20120418148.jpg

now all I have to do is get my shave on tomrow morning, and I am looking forward to it:icon_biggrin:

fatboyslimfast said:
Cool - looks like a little travel NEW!

Thank you,I had some fun making this I can tell you. I was going to remake the handle,but the machines and tooling for that, is very expensive and a bit out of my budget, so a compromise was in order,it was far cheaper to do,as it cost me nothing but a bit of gas I am very happy with the result, it's a few mm taller than a travel tech. I have big hands so might as well be comfy :)

Back
Top Bottom