Making your own

After being inspired by the many talented people on here, over the last few weeks I've been researching and reading up on the methods and advice to make your own shaving goodies, as well as picking up tips from the likes of Professor Blighty and Sunbury.

Last week, as I mentioned on a couple of the Shave of the Day posts, I produced my own aftershave and cologne, and very nice they were too. Just need to play around with proper blends of oils to get the longevity and scents which really go well together, but the scents are noticeable and not unpleasant at all, and the cologne itself does the job. The aftershave, in particular, hit the right spot with giving my skin a lovely after shaving feeling and soothing any razor burn I had during my shave.

Earlier this week I had a first attempt at making my own soap (Lime and Tea Tree). I made it up and left it for a few days before shaving, but I did perform one or two test lathers and it seemed to be lathering surprisingly well....but how would it shave? Well, with some trepidation, this morning I went for it.

To say I was pleased would be an understatement, and I'm wondering if it's beginner's luck :lol: The lather was lovely, creamy and slick and I got enough lather on my brush for a comfortable two passes. Scent was really nice as well and, after my shave, my face felt fantastic, no nicks or cuts, no pulls, the skin feels really nice, smooth and not dry at all. Without blowing my own trumpet, I'd say the shave I got was up there ahead of some of the 'brand' soaps I've tried! So, confidence up, I'm going to be doing myself some more varieties :D

So, have got a soap and aftershave I'm totally happy with, and a cologne which I'll be 100% with with the right blend of scents. I'm also planning a facial moisturiser, and SWMBO is suitably impressed that she wants me to do her a body spray!!

It's a great feeling when items you've produced yourself come out so well. I'd urge anybody out there who has thought about doing their own to give it a go, it gives you great variety and freedom about what you can do, and it's great fun too.

I am very interested but need some clues on how to do it.
So far I have added some glycerin to olive oil and added eucalyptus as a save oil.
It is very cheap, just kind of shave oil smell and works ok. The glycerin is needed to thicken the olive oil but it separates quickly and needs a good shake every use.
I added dark rum to vodka, added indian bay leaf, cinnamon and all spice to knock up a bay rum, she calls it my christmas pudding mix :lol:

Are you using that as a pre-shave oil? Olive oil isn't something I have used in any of my experiments, have seen plenty of comments which have said not to use it in things such as shave soaps etc, so I've generally stayed clear.

My aftershaves are witch hazel based, with my colognes being the thing which brings in the alcohol (as high proof and distilled as I could find). My soaps are melt and pour based, but with added goodies such as shea butter, coconut oil, some extra glycerin and other bits and bobs.

I'm aiming to do a Bay Rum myself, have got the bits and bobs to do that on order.

Yes the olive oil is just used in a pre shave oil, I have always used a pre shave even befor I started using proper razors.
The first batch that I made was knocked up with some white ish vegitable oil with included glycerin that I found for perhaps a couple of quid per 100ml but I still added some glycerin to that. I moved on to olive oil as I was above my target price, oilive oil brings the cost to a few pence.
Its all a bit hit and miss when I make a batch but it goes something like
85mm olive oil / 15ml glycerin / 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
I know it could be better but its sort of works ok, is quick and cheap to knock up and the only drawback being the seperation of the glycerin but its no real hardship to shake before use.

I need to have a play with caster oil / olive oil mix but we have no caster in the house.

Some bits I gleamed from a google search when I first looked into this ar below.

.5 part Glycerin
1 part EVOO
2 parts almond oil
2 parts grape seed oil
2 parts jojoba oil
.5 part Liquid Vitamin E.

I found 50/50 olive oil/castor oil works well. Scent as you would like.

0.5 part EVOO
0.5 part Castor Oil
2.5 parts Grape Seed Oil
2 parts Jojoba Oil
2 drops of Lavender EO

1 ounce grapeseed oil,
1 ounce sweet almond oil,
1 ounce avocado oil,
½ ounce extra-virgin olive oil,
¼ ounce glycerin, ¼ ounce aloe vera, and
5 drops lavender essential oil.

Tony