Me, Morris, Martin and Mongoose

jds

So, my Mongoose has arrived and here it is....

P1140369_zps44e2dbb7.jpg

From Monday I shall use this for every shave in the next four weeks. I usually shave 6 times a week so 24 shaves should be a reasonable test run. I will rotate the blades, using one for a full weeks worth of shaving. I intend to use the MdC consistently through the four weeks to see if I can make a dent in it! I shall rotate my brushes starting with my M&F Beehive, and also try out different handles I have for it.

P1140393_zpscd45e8a4.jpg

c5dcb1e4-9e1a-4a51-befa-7044c0652d07_zpsb4ff9289.jpg

First impressions of the razor are that it is a substantial implement if some heft. Pop on the Big Bomber and it is heavy indeed, but not too heavy. I think it will shave more like a vintage Ever Ready Gem SE than the Cobra, for instance, but we shall see.

Anyway a few pictures here, handles and all....

Will post some updates in SotD.

Jon

Jon. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the blade and how it sits on those lugs without the top cap in place. The Cobra lugs dont seem to make a great deal of difference.

Re: RE: Me, Morris, Martin and Mongoose

UKRob said:
Jon. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the blade and how it sits on those lugs without the top cap in place. The Cobra lugs dont seem to make a great deal of difference.

I will take some pics but my experience is that it is a secure, snug fit. It was a tad fiddly but I do have fingers that were not built for fine work. It certainly feels more secure than the Cobra to me & certainly more solid & better made.
But how will it shave?

Best

Jon

Got mine last week and had my most uncomfortable shave ever before realising two things - blade wasn't seated properly on the lugs and Feather pro blades are really very sharp! So, having behaved like an over excited child and getting it all wrong (see above), I left it for a day or two and, once my face had calmed down, tried again. Since then I've used the Mongoose every day, with the same blade, and have really enjoyed both the comfort of the shave and overall using the razor. It is a a quality piece of shaving kit and - IMHO - shaves beutifully!

My invoice arrived this morning, but as I have go a satin version that I have been using for a week do I need another one? I think the answer is going to be no, so those of you still waiting for a polished one should be going up the list one place !!

UKRob said:

Here we go Rob...

Minimalist they may be, but they do seem to sit very true.

20141221_140146_zps1ewlrkmm.jpg

Jon

That looks to be far more secure than the Cobra - I may have to look at exchanging a Cobra for a Mongoose. Having seen Eric's shiny version I'm very taken.

UKRob said:
That looks to be far more secure than the Cobra - I may have to look at exchanging a Cobra for a Mongoose. Having seen Eric's shiny version I'm very taken.

I've used mine for the last three days and it is excellent. It is, in my brief experience, a better shaver than the Cobra, and the build quality is far superior. Being able to swap handles is a really nice bonus too.

I don't regret selling my Cobra to make way for the 'Goose...

I agree that it's easier to load than the Cobra (though you have to make sure the head is properly lined up as the blade is very loose if it isn't) and that the build quality is better.

However, I don't think it looks as 'stylish' as the Cobra does and I found the shave to be pretty much identical (unsurprising as they use the same blades).

As always, YMMV.

Tall_Paul said:
I agree that it's easier to load than the Cobra (though you have to make sure the head is properly lined up as the blade is very loose if it isn't) and that the build quality is better.

However, I don't think it looks as 'stylish' as the Cobra does and I found the shave to be pretty much identical (unsurprising as they use the same blades).

As always, YMMV.

The Cobra is undoubtedly a more stylish looking implement, I agree on that. I prefer the larger dimensions of head and the more secure hold of the 'goose. It gives me greater confidence. Of course I've started with the milder blades. My opinion may change as I move up the scale of aggression.....

Back
Top Bottom