My first attempt!

I say first attempt but I'm only gonna do half the work!

A little while ago I picked up this fisher on the bay, wasn't in the greatest condition and need cleaning up good and proper! Sadly I didn't get a before picture!

I read on this forum and others that the first restoration should be done by hand to appreciate the work and time that is required.......and boy try weren't wrong!

I set to work with the wet and dry paper working all the way through the grits u till I came out with this! Now I know it's not perfect but I'm really pleased with what I achieved and am looking forward to taking what I've learned from this and hopefully restoring more in the future.....where time permits!

I've just bought another fisher off the bay which I want to get tidied up and hopefully make a little 2 razor weekend set :)

Now to get someone to make scales and get her shave ready.....am I guessing Neil Miller is the main man for this??

Thanks for looking and welcome any tips/feedback![attachment=6312]

Few other pics![attachment=6314][attachment=6315][attachment=6316]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392846.285363.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392846.285363.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392901.734776.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392901.734776.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392916.451447.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392916.451447.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392931.347253.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357392931.347253.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 54
That's looking really good - no signs of scratch marks and a nice sheen. I'm sure Neil can help with scales and you may want to get it honed at the same time unless you can do this yourself. Have you considered making the scales yourself? There is plenty of information on Straight Razor Place forum and lists the minimum equipment required - you'd be surprised at how little.

Alternatively you can buy ready made scales although the problem is knowing whether they will fit - I think Invisible Edge stock them so you could always drop them an email with details of the blade size etc.

UKRob said:
That's looking really good - no signs of scratch marks and a nice sheen. I'm sure Neil can help with scales and you may want to get it honed at the same time unless you can do this yourself. Have you considered making the scales yourself? There is plenty of information on Straight Razor Place forum and lists the minimum equipment required - you'd be surprised at how little.

Alternatively you can buy ready made scales although the problem is knowing whether they will fit - I think Invisible Edge stock them so you could always drop them an email with details of the blade size etc.

Rob thank you! That means a lot coming from you and the quality that you deliver in your straights!

I will be getting it honed at the same time yes. Although this is something that I want to learn and be able to do to a good standard!

As for making my own scales....yes I'd love to have a go myself but as it currently stands I don't have the equipment to do so however I am eyeing up some tools and machinery to enable to do this.

Is it an easy thing to do? Making scales that is.....then again that goes for honing too?
I don't know anyone near by to me that can teach/show so all my learning is going to be from here and other forums and also YouTube!

Regarding making scales, I learned from watching the Videos by this guy in the US

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

He uses a lot of equipment but a lot of the work can be done by hand. Having watched the videos, I basically copied what he does and after a couple of false starts was turning out some acceptable results. If you take a look at the advice on SRP there are many people who make scales with limited equipment.

Honing obviously requires an investment - the finer the grits the more they cost - so, if you intend to start refurbishing blades then expect to invest in a range of hones. However, if you just want a hone for refreshing edges then learning to use a hone is not too difficult, provided that your razor is in reasonable condition.

Yeah I've seen his videos on restoring a straight and that's what got me wanting to try.

I will have a crack at doing the scales, I'm in the process of sweet talking the other half so I can get a little machinery in to do this.

As for actually refurbishing and honing. I really only will be doing this for myself and not to sell on....well that's how I see it now! So for honing to restore ill leave it to a professional but just for keeping the edge refreshed then yeah that's what I'm looking to do and from the videos no it doesn't look to hard........he says :) haha!

Thanks again for your info, it is very much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom