"Nakaya", "Platinum" and "Namiki" fountain pens: marvel Made in Japan

I recently got introduced to these Japanese-made fountain pens. I come from a 'Richemont' background (Cartier, MB), few Duponts, couple of dozen Lamys, a Faber and a Pilot, etc.

My world on fountain pen writing is now permanently changed, I have to say. The Japanese make some outstanding nibs and pen bodies. The distinction between several grades of softness (for the same nib thickness) is impressive, the materials and craftmanship applied are outstanding, and the spirit behind the whole endeavor can be clearly felt on the product itself.

Let us carry on with some pictures:

0E819044-C11D-4C34-BD3A-7FB43E4A6979_zpsw9puyoco.jpg

Nakaya leather pen pouch; S.T. Dupont 'Shanghai' (LE, 2009), M nib.

0FA109CB-A2F1-4D5D-AF24-49ED185B44CC_zpsnkwdqssd.jpg

nib3_zps2f5d9c53.jpg

Piccolo Ishime, custom 'Goldfish' (in silver) stopper.

nib4_zps25b57324.jpg

nib2_zps06c980b8.jpg

nib1_zpsbacc2f3c.jpg

wotd4_zps3afbe477.jpg

wotd2_zps746a39d6.jpg

wotd1_zps78f65cc0.jpg

3_zps5240763d.jpg

5_zpsf1bfa012.jpg

4_zps19a7f638.jpg

DSC_0827_zpscb174848.jpg

DSC_0822_zps669a33d9.jpg

DSC_0824_zps37b1493c.jpg

DSC_0821_zps17e61acb.jpg

800h_zps79a54738.jpg

Those are some amazing writing instruments, Κωνσταντίνε. Your pics are amazing too as always.

Where can I get one? :D

RE: "Nakaya", "Platinum" and "Namiki" fountain pens: mar...

Thanks for the kind words.

I got them here in Singapore (got four pieces in a period of four days, last weekend). They're a bit overpriced at this end, as with almost everything else.

In Japan the prices should be better, I've also seen a couple of U.S. vendors asking $500-800 for the standard models (which is kind of reasonable).

I'm selling my little used MBs, the 146 Solitaire Platinum and the Meierstruck 149 as well. I guarantee you that after trying a Nakaya or Platinum, you'll be hooked pretty well with this type of pen.

I can provide further feedback for those who want so, particularly on how the chosen nibs perform.

I have been a MB/Lamy user for a few years but I have drooled over some of these Japanese creations, unfortunately due to my high attrition rate, carelessness & Mrs that would castrate me for such a luxury I must look away now!

Beautiful K :)

Wow, some beauties there.
That case in the first one is amazing, although that style of pen is not for me. A bit too ornate.
I will never be in the position to be able to use one of these, but I do enjoy using a (sub £30) fountain pen, so I can just about imagine what a high end instrument would feel like.

N_Architect said:
Thanks for the kind words.

I got them here in Singapore (got four pieces in a period of four days, last weekend). They're a bit overpriced at this end, as with almost everything else.

In Japan the prices should be better, I've also seen a couple of U.S. vendors asking $500-800 for the standard models (which is kind of reasonable).

I'm selling my little used MBs, the 146 Solitaire Platinum and the Meierstruck 149 as well. I guarantee you that after trying a Nakaya or Platinum, you'll be hooked pretty well with this type of pen.

I can provide further feedback for those who want so, particularly on how the chosen nibs perform.

I only have a simple Parker fountain after drooling over MB's for years. But they seem overpriced for what to me feels very flimsy and delicate workmanship. The Parker works a treat most of the time when I have the time to use it!

Back
Top Bottom