Neck of Lamb - recipe needed urgently

Due to some confusion my delivery of organic lamb ended up sitting on the doorstep for a day; so I need to get this cooked asap. Does anyone have a good recipe they could recommend? I have never cooked this before, nor have I tried to cut one up. It's all in one piece.:icon_eek:

Neck of lamb is fatty, so cook it as you would any heavy marbled meat. I don't think it lends itself well to quick cooking.

I actually put my last lot in a stew, Dice it up, and toss it in seasoned flour. Then heat a frying pan with some olive oil until really hot and brown the meat, before putting it into the casserole.
Then brown a load of chopped onion, (one whole one), a couple of sliced carrots, a sliced leek, and a clove of garlic in the frying pan also with more olive oil. Then add either some dark beer (a pint will do, guiness or a bitter like London Pride) or some red wine (a glass will do) and deglaze that pan. Pour the whole lot into the casserole. Top up with some beef or Lamb stock if you need to... the whole thing needs to sit in liquid.

Add some chopped kidneys if liked. Add a good heavy squeeze of tomato puree. Add 2 or 3 strands of fresh Thyme. Add a heavy splash of worcestershire sauce. Add a bouquet garni if you have one.

Cook in a low oven (mark 3) for 2 hours. Turn up the heat to mark 5 and add dumplings for the last 25 mins if you want. To me, they crown a stew.

Thanks Canuck, that sounds really good. And so long since I've eaten dumplings, you've just reminded me how good they are when they are all fluffy and....in a stew.

I actually have a friend who's car was written off when he ran into a sheep.:icon_eek:
I ended up making a bog standard stew in the end, not having either beer or red wine to hand, and I think I overdid the thyme....and as I was making my Moroccon lamb thingy at the same time and happened to have a handful a mint left over I threw that in as well.:icon_redface: Not sure it's been entirely successful, and I'm a bit disappointed about how little meat there is. Still, I''m sure it's nothing a couple of oxo cubes can't cure.

CD your head is firmly stuck up your pseudo culinary arse, stock cubes are just fine as long as you mind the salt.

The salt is precisely my problem with them. I have high blood pressure and have to watch my salt intake.

I mainly make my own stocks as I have an aversion to waste and can't stand to see good chicken and fish bones being hoyed out without extracting everything I can from them. I do use those jelly blob stock things that MPW recommends though, I'm not a total hero.

Back
Top Bottom