Never write a blade off !

Shortly after starting this DE lark I tried a Gillette Super Thin. I just could not get on with them, I had weepers and irritation and in the end gave them away. Recently I managed to win 100 Gillette Bleue on EBay and the seller popped in a packet of Super Thins, great seller and excellent communicator. This morning I thought I'd give one a whirl just to see. The end result a fantastic nick, weeper and irritation free shave, so I'll be buying some more of them.

So a word to any newbie if you find a blade that doesn't work for you at first, revisit it once your technique improves.

good advice and when you buy another razor (and you will!!) try those blades again, I've had some bad results in my EJ with certain blades but excellent shaves with the same blade in my PAL.
It don't matter what I use in my Merker I don't get a nice shave, but I love how it looks so might just keep it.

Another possibility is that a concrete blade has some deffect. That issue has happened sometimes to me, even with the best considered blades (Feather, Iridium Super, etc.)

First time I was worried about it, but that impression disapeared once I changed the blade for other one, hehe

Cheers!

Brianpilman said:
It sounds like you won them of the same seller I won some off. Just remember when your looking for the thins there's two versions

I thought they were the same blade, made in same factory with different language on the packaging. Haven't noticed a difference TBH.

Northam Saint said:
Shortly after starting this DE lark I tried a Gillette Super Thin. I just could not get on with them, I had weepers and irritation and in the end gave them away. Recently I managed to win 100 Gillette Bleue on EBay and the seller popped in a packet of Super Thins, great seller and excellent communicator. This morning I thought I'd give one a whirl just to see. The end result a fantastic nick, weeper and irritation free shave, so I'll be buying some more of them.

So a word to any newbie if you find a blade that doesn't work for you at first, revisit it once your technique improves.

Good advice about many things!

It was me who sold both of you those blades, nice to read some complimentary comments about my eBay transactions :icon_razz:

The Super Thin is a strange blade. At first I had both good and bad shaves with it but there are so many factors that can make you write off a blade when it actually, your soap mix was crap, your face was a little irritated from the day before, you made a bad choice of razor or sometimes just a crap shave can all lead to us blaming the blade. If a blade doesn't work for me in a couple of goes I put it away for a few months and try again later. If it is still crap after that then it is a write off and I don't use then again.

I find using them in a mild razor like a Edwin Jagger or some of the more mild vintage razors works well. I found a combination that works well for me so I bought a few for the stash (in anticipation of the DE shaveacalypse).

Another interesting blade like this are the Kai blades. Kais are super sharp suckers but when the alignment of the sun and moon is right they can deliver a superb shave.

If I am honest mostly it is turns out it was me rather than the blade that is at fault :blush:

Audiolab said:
It was me who sold both of you those blades, nice to read some complimentary comments about my eBay transactions :icon_razz:

The Super Thin is a strange blade. At first I had both good and bad shaves with it but there are so many factors that can make you write off a blade when it actually, your soap mix was crap, your face was a little irritated from the day before, you made a bad choice of razor or sometimes just a crap shave can all lead to us blaming the blade. If a blade doesn't work for me in a couple of goes I put it away for a few months and try again later. If it is still crap after that then it is a write off and I don't use then again.

I find using them in a mild razor like a Edwin Jagger or some of the more mild vintage razors works well. I found a combination that works well for me so I bought a few for the stash (in anticipation of the DE shaveacalypse).

Another interesting blade like this are the Kai blades. Kais are super sharp suckers but when the alignment of the sun and moon is right they can deliver a superb shave.

If I am honest mostly it is turns out it was me rather than the blade that is at fault :blush:

I did think it may well be someone on here. I should add that your communication was the best I've ever received on EBay and I would recommend you to anyone on here. The Bleue's are great by the way.

After using a couple of Thins now I would say it would be my blade of choice. I works great in both the Progress and 89.

As far as super sharps go, I have tried and tried with Feathers and just can't get on with them no matter which razor I use, so I suppose there is the odd one you just can't use or find that all important combination. So for now the unopened packs I purchased will gather dust.

Back
Top Bottom