New Article on Traditional Shaving Razor Usage

Interesting.

From my point of view, if the costs were reversed, I'd still stick with DE shaving. Besides which, I've spent over $1,000 on vintage razors and costly brushes over the past couple of years! I should break even in March 2074.

chrisbell said:
Given that he refers to Merkur blades as being "well-regarded", it's obvious he's never tried one!

if he wants the cheapest possible over time then why no mention of straight razors.

if you factor in the high startup cost of razor,strop,stones

then in theory you would never need to replace anything

shanky887614 said:
chrisbell said:
Given that he refers to Merkur blades as being "well-regarded", it's obvious he's never tried one!

if he wants the cheapest possible over time then why no mention of straight razors.

Cause they are not the cheapest you can get 2000 shark blades for 100 quid that will last you 20 years with a new one every 3 days.what's the initial cost of straight strop and stones then you will need to replace them after 20 years of constant use.

pedro083 said:
shanky887614 said:
chrisbell said:

Cause they are not the cheapest you can get 2000 shark blades for 100 quid that will last you 20 years with a new one every 3 days.what's the initial cost of straight strop and stones then you will need to replace them after 20 years of constant use.

$45+$15+$100 = $160 USD.

Gold Dollar + cheap strop + Naniwa 12k. Heck, you can even drop it down further by using a Spyderco UF or Chinese 12k.

Hmm, maybe not quite 20 years, but we've got you beat at 25.

Factor in SRAD and strop AD and HAD and we definitely lose the cost savings....

I'm surprised he manages to get around 20 shaves from a Mach 3. I assume that is 1 pass per shave. So with a DE blade and shaving with 3 passes, that should work out at around 12 to 15 actual passes per DE blade.

Maybe it's not surprising.

Back
Top Bottom