"New" resurrected but which handle?

I got a Gillette New (1930 Regent, English) the other week. Mucky, well used and advertised as a 5 piece! Blade box missing and logo worn off the inside of the lid. But otherwise looked OK.
Cleaned it up over the weekend, handle cracks were minor and I had no problem Epoxying the ends back in after a moderate go with a needle file.

What a shave! first go I used an Aluminium Tech handle whilst the epoxy was curing on the true one. Lovely! close as a close thing with little burn and the only blood from a skin tag - which ought to have disappeared by now!
Second go was with the repaired handle - totally different balance and I coped badly with the change, still a very close shave but with more burn and a slice on my neck from sheer sloppiness. My technique is invariably shown up by changes in weight.
I can see some further experimentation will be needed!

But main point is very impressive shave, the closest I've had for the least discomfort.

Does anyone have any special tips for getting all the green out from between the teeth? It's the only place I've struggled with getting it all out. I'm assuming that the these razors have a Gold wash/thin plate which I think is mostly intact as the green was only around the knurling, between the teeth and on the edges of the head. There is definitely a colour difference between the easiest bits to clean/shine and the bits that were greener.

Are you fussed about the gold plating? If not, get some citric acid granules (failry cheap on eBay), mix with water and steep the head. That will certanily remove the green but I can't guarantee the plate. I use this method to clean up badly stained or blocked old Primus stove parts and it works a treat. As an alternative that may be gentler, what about a bicarbonate of soda solution?

Bicarb sounds good - I'm only fussed about the gold because it makes it easier to keep clean. If not I'll try winding some Silvo wadding on a cocktail stick and see how that does.

Back
Top Bottom