New scales for CJB Straight

This is another little project I did for one of our members - he wanted some scales fitted to a CJB Kamisori style razor. I used the same shape as for Feather razors in acrylic and a Chicago screw at the pivot.

Very, very nice. One of the most rewarding parts of this forum is seeing the wonderful work members like yourself can do. Fabulous!

Excellent mate.

I am really tempte to get one of these cjbs for shaving at work, so obviously I need scales.

Not being too great at woodwork was gonna get some scales from ivisible edge, was wondering though what size do I need.

I see they sell 5/8, 6/8.....

It won't fit into conventional scales unless you can convert them. The pivot will need to be drilled out to accomodate a 4mm screw post and the toe end will need a much wider wedge so that the blade holder can sit lower in the scales.

Take a look at the photos. The wedge is 2 to 3 times wider than a normal straight. The pivot pin in straight scales is generally 1/16" rod - with the CJB, the pivot hole is drilled at 4mm therefore the scales also have to be 4mm. In this example I also sunk the heads - one 8mm and the other 9mm - but that's not totally necessary.

Other than that, normal scales should work although they may not be the exact length.

very nice job.....be nice to have a start to finish with pictures...i am sure it would generate interest with tools etc used

That's a good idea. Jamie posted a thread recently showing his method for making scales by hand - I tend to do a lot more with power tools so I'll take some photos of my next project.

Back
Top Bottom