Newbie Question

Hi,

After lurking for a month or so and found the forum really useful. I've decided to 'go public' as I have a question;

For the last 2 weeks I've been using Jagger DE89bl with Derby blades, a Geo F Trumper brush (a gift, so don't know which one) and Monsavon shaving soap. Everything was fine at first but when I put in a new blade it suddenly felt like I was shaving with a month old Bic disposable! I've put in 2 new blades since then and it's still really uncomfortable. I'm a face latherer.

THe shave itself is great and I don't have any razor burn so I was wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. Nothing, apart from the blades, has changed

Could it be that the comfort of your first few shaves made you complacent? Try again with a fresh Derby blade, but go slowly, applying no pressure other than the weight of the razor, and keeping the blade angle on your face constant.

Welcome to TSR

While I'd happily recommend a switch to the red personna I use in my Jagger razor, you may enjoy trying other blades. Here's one example of sample packs to consider:

http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

I started out with Derby blades but soon found other blades that worked better for me.

Hi Bullwinkle, welcome aboard! :)

My guess: dud blade. Not unprecedented with Derbys, so it's worth following Mikael's advice and nipping to the supermarket for some own brand alternatives. The ones from Tesco, Asda and Morrisons should be all right; Sainsbury and Superdrug ... probably not.

Hi Bullwinkle

Assuming you're in the UK, if you PM me your address, I'll pop a couple of blades in the post to you - a few varieties for you to try.

Adam

Hi & very welcome. What you've experienced sounds like what put me off Derbys, ie poor consistency in their quality control. Whilst a decent one works just fine I found too many which were a bit off song to be bothered wasting time & money on them. I'm guessing that if you find another blade which suits you'll be just fine.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
Hi & very welcome. What you've experienced sounds like what put me off Derbys, ie poor consistency in their quality control. Whilst a decent one works just fine I found too many which were a bit off song to be bothered wasting time & money on them. I'm guessing that if you find another blade which suits you'll be just fine.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

+1.....I too gave up on Derbys' for their poor quality and inconsistency.

Hax said:
Hi Bullwinkle

Assuming you're in the UK, if you PM me your address, I'll pop a couple of blades in the post to you - a few varieties for you to try.

Adam

Thanks Adam (& FAther Ted). I'd take you up on that but I'm in France. I'll pop out to Carrefour or Monoprix and see what they've got. Fido, if they have red Personnas I'll give them a go.

Bullwinkle said:
Hax said:
Hi Bullwinkle

Adam

Thanks Adam (& FAther Ted). I'd take you up on that but I'm in France. I'll pop out to Carrefour or Monoprix and see what they've got. Fido, if they have red Personnas I'll give them a go.

Hi Bullwinkle
Monoprix have Gillette Bleues which are fine, not as good as the pre-2000 blades but still fine.

Hi and welcome.
While I chop and change a lot...ahem.
I do keep things constant so I sort of know what's going on.
So without knowing the rest of your routine i keep my prep the same.
Then I keep my brush the same.
Then I keep my ASB the same ish.
Then I sorted one blade thats a beaut.
For m e thats a gillette 7 oclock yellow.
This blade is really good for me.
Derbys are pants for me.
So now I have everything bottomed. In theory at least.
So when I change kit around I have a default setting.
Thats what I aim for.
Now there are variables in this default setting.
Technique.
Often pressure. You really don't need a lot.
The Army used to make recruits practice without a blade. Just take off the lather.
So think of it as lather removal. try not to go over areas that have no lather on.
This is something that you can do with multi blades.
DE's just cannot do this.
Oh NO PRESSURE.
Keep a stiff wrist and hey ho.
I find that if I enjoy all the component parts of a shave the end result is good.
So try not to focus on a smooth shave but good prep, good lather, nice times and find that default setting that you know works for you.
I still get crap shaves. I don't really mind. Its everything else that I enjoy!
especailly waking up and treating myself to a first class experience each morning.
Enuff blabbing
Cheers,
Tim

Hello and welcome.

I had a similar experience with Derbys and have not touched them since. I prefer Feather, 7 o'clock yellows or Personna medical prep blades myself.

Hello and welcome !

Derby blades do not work for me either , started with a EJ89 like yourself , but , later on switched blades to Israeli Red Personnas as Fido suggested (after trying numerous other blades) and there is really no comparison , the two go together very well ,
All the best ,
Derrick

Thanks for all the advice. I managed to get hold of some Gillette 7 0'Clocks yesterday and this morning's shave was a breeze. I wouldn't have believed 2 blades could be so different!

Derbys now consigned to the bin.

Back
Top Bottom