Newbie questions

1. Having now seen one, they look even weirder than I'd imagained. Will someone please explain what a slant razor is for (shaving, I know) and how it is used? Are they aggressive?

2. What does "RAD killer" mean - as in, "Is this razor a RAD killer?"

3. What does "NOS" mean - as in, "I have NOS Gillette razors"?

4. Is the heavy use of acronyms general to wet shavers or just TSR members?

5. Why?

A slant bends the blade so it gives an angled cutting surface rather than straight. I find it suits me but I wouldn't recommend it as a starter. RAD is razor acquisition disease/disorder it is just the addiction to buying razors (most here have it), and NOS is new old stock, so its razor that has sat in a shop store room for 40 years totally unopened and sealed. Takes a while to get the language on top of the learning curve of shaving but its great fun.welcome along.

1, The slant holds the blade at an angle so that it slices through the hair, rathere than chopping through it. Use it the same way as a normal safety razor. Considered to be aggressive.

2, Razor Addiction Disorder. The complusion to buy as many bright shiny razors as you can. Commonly starts shortly after stopping shaving with a cartridge razor and can of shaving foam and ususally nullifies the 'cost of cartidge' argument. Can also manifest itself as SBAD (Shaving Brush Addiction Disorder). Severe cases can suffer from RAD and SBAD at the same time. RAD Killer is a razor that someone is totally happy with, thus breaking the compulsion to acquire bright shiny razors.

3, New Old Stock. Means a quantity of packaged and sealed 'old stuff' (Razors, blades, soap) that has since been discontinued or superceeded, but has not been used.

4, All forums have their own 'language' of accronyms. The language used here is common to most shaving forums.

5, Why what? If you are asking why we are here, then its for the beer!

Welcome.

Jules

Got it! Many thanks, gents. Angled so it slices not chops. I see that - same as Mde. Guillotine. I'll leave well alone for a while!

It would seem there are at least two forms of RAD. I've overcome EORAD (Early Onset) but VERAD is creeping up on me at quite a pace. Pils look to be top of my list at the moment.

I already have a bad case of SSAD! And PTPIIAD - Pots To Put It In. I have enough soap to last me well into the next life - and more on order!

Cheaper than cartridge shaving! Hah! Piffle! I could have known, though - used to use three cartridge razors each morning. I guess I have an addictive personality!

Yeah it can be a bit acronym happy here, I waited about a month before I was brave enough to ask about PIFs! (Since I mention it, it's Pay It Forward, or in other words a generous gesture or gift to someone newer than yourself).

A slant is a thing of beauty. They are more aggressive than a straight bar but they're not something to be afraid of, it's definitely something you should try once you have a half decent ability, say after a couple of months. They reward solid technique with an amazing close shave and just may punish sloppy handling if you're careless. The end result can be staggeringly good though.

The blade sticks out just that tiny bit more than a standard DE and there is more of a gap (it's really noticeable to the naked eye) between safety bar and blade. I've not nicked myself with mine, but then I've only had it a couple of months so there is time yet! Highly recommended.

If you're going to set up a rotation of razors than one should be a slant. My recommendation would be one of the new Merkur ones. Model would depend on the size of razor that you want . I have a 39c, it's big.

It's a car!

Canuck says, "The blade sticks out just that tiny bit more than a standard DE and there is more of a gap (it's really noticeable to the naked eye) between safety bar and blade" which exactly describes a Parker I bought - and didn't know to look for that gap! I have checked carefully ever since ripping my face apart with that razor. Some people have to learn the hard way, I guess.

Anyway, that ripping apart has left me somewhat fearful of all but the mildest razors (ones with which I do not cut myself to ribbons). The thought of using a slant scares me - but what the hell is RAD for if not for such purchases??

A 39C is my baby - at least it's closed comb! Actually, I'd have bought one ages ago if it were not a slant so thanks for pushing me over the edge, as it were.

Well, that was exciting!

The Merkur 39C arrived this morning - not as slanty as I'd convinced myself it would be. I thought to have a quick whip round with it and all seemed very well - how could this be considered aggressive? Anyway, I then thought to check out Canuck's assertions and put a blade into it - hm! a little bit wider indeed! It was an old blade so a tentative, short stroke on my forearm seemed in order. Clean as a whistle so I'm much encouraged! Put it away for safe keeping after that - quit while the going is good!

Another sixteen of my 30 Day Rule to go, a month of other razors and then the 39C will take its place in the rotation rack.

Feels good in the hand, though! Very, very tempting!

Back
Top Bottom