Other Hobbies

Talking of trilogies, I've just finished His Dark Materials. It was OK to start with but it nearly lost me in the end. It was primarily written as a children's book. What on earth they made of it, God only knows. But then he was dead in the end. I bet they don't make the second and third films.

Fido said:
Talking of trilogies, I've just finished His Dark Materials. It was OK to start with but it nearly lost me in the end. It was primarily written as a children's book. What on earth they made of it, God only knows. But then he was dead in the end. I bet they don't make the second and third films.

I've read them too. I thought they were excellent, but definitely for the more experienced child reader, and I agree - it did get rather confusing at the end. I like the way the story can be taken at different levels. I would think it would be near impossible to make parts two and three in to films. The task would be on a par with LOTRs, but that is a much more popular novel so the enormous budget was justified I suppose.

Reading Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind at the moment. It's very enjoyable and easy to read, as well as thought provoking. The section on placebos is very interesting. He's a clever chap.

Arrowhead said:
So: read any good books recently Ollie? - not that one. I've gone slightly off the boil with reading and could do with a nudge in an interesting direction.

Well, seeing as our shaving tastes are coinciding maybe our reading habits will as well?

So . . .

P G Wodehouse is always good; Geoff Nicholson is an under-rated novelist, clever and funny and easy to read (try "Everything And More"); Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall" is brilliant.

Should be enough to be going on with. All of these have made me think and/or laugh whilst being pleasurable to read: can't ask for more than that.

Thanks fellas. Stieg Larsson and the Hilary Mantel were both already on the to do list, and it's months since I last read a Wodehouse. As regards the Dark Materials books, I liked the first one a lot better than the other two which tend heavily towards the preachy. I was recently lent all the C J Sansome "Shardlake" books, which I heartily recommend to anyone. I thought I was allergic to historical fiction, especially Tudor, but those were very entertaining.

Collecting BCA's from around the world (currently stocking up on American Craft Brews), Bourbon and bonsai. The trees THRIVE when fed a little Buffalo Trace every morning ;) :lol:

I really enjoy collecting prayer beads,
got all sorts even digital tally counters which can be essentially used as prayer beads just to keep count

Something very surreal about using prayer beads, relaxing for sure

Fishing for me
Most of my life for the last 10-11 years iv worked in Norway which is pretty much the fishing mecca...

Man, I freshwater fished throughout my youth into my 20's. Nothing like cooking your catch.

You may be right about Norway:

Here in the USA the Brit fisherman/biologist Jeremy Wade is very famous. Man, that guy is a real adventurer!!

Man, I freshwater fished throughout my youth into my 20's. Nothing like cooking your catch.

You may be right about Norway:

Here in the USA the Brit fisherman/biologist Jeremy Wade is very famous. Man, that guy is a real adventurer!!
Yeah Norway is class
The Fishing Mecca.
Most sea fisherman in the uk want to fish Norway as that’s pretty much where you get the big Cod & Halibut.
The lakes are class as well especially after a 3-4 hour climb and your secluded up a mountain on your own.
Fishing for me is good for clearing my head.
Jeremy Wade is ok but some of the episodes seem to be a bit about him for my liking

Man, that has to be tough as many kids today are just simply nasty little smartazzes and discipline has gone out of social favor. I remember the good ol' days when you could use the lash & rubber truncheon!! :)

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
I was pleasantly surprised when I took over. They are a great bunch of kids. Very knowledgeable about all sports and what’s really pleasing is that they all have their careers mapped out. What helps massively too is having supportive parents.

Back
Top Bottom