Penhaligon Pricing.

OK so you all know where this thread is going from the title.

Today, I had the pleasure of trying one of Sharons soaps form www.nannyssillysoap.com/ Excellent comuunication, excellent service. Her soaps are around the best Ive tried.

Also, Professor Blightys are awesome, locally produced and lather superbly. And then, there is trusty old Palmolive cream for those not wanting to spend to so much.

So WHY ON EARTH is this Penhaglions stuff so expensive? Is it really 6 times superior to other options on the market?

What is causing people to hand over cash for this exorbitant product.

I guess your just paying for the blend of scent mainly. It's the same thing with the 3T's, all made by the same people but with the companies unique scent added.

I think it's down to personal choice,i have tried the Profs products and find them good,but i also like Penhaligons,Trumpers and Floris and consider myself lucky to have some of these soaps and creams along with many others,to me it all comes down to having variety.

Dave.

"Quality remains long after the memory of price has been forgotten."

A sertain Sir Henry Royce claimed that. He and his partner, a Mr Rolls were famous for producing something, can't think what though, it might have been shaving soap.

Penhaligons are admittedly expensive, but their scents are far more complex, and more expensive to produce than other products. I gather that the botanical ingredients for the scents are very dear to extract for starters. If you spend some time trying them and discussing them with a knowledgeable friend (or even a sales person, no obligation!) you can pick up all the individual elements, and there really is a lot going on in there. A lot.

Whether that complexity is worth 6x the price is completely down to the customer to decide. For a cream, I'm not so tempted to splash out on Penhaligons. But I have got a shaving soap, a bath soap, and an EDT of theirs. It was worth it to me.

For another example, I really like Truefitt and Hill's stuff. Yet TOBS are every bit as good, and over 35% cheaper, but I like the T+H smells, so I choose those. Don't knock me just because I personally prefer it to Palmolive.

What you need to get your head around, is the idea that Penhaligons are a huge step up from standard high street fragrance brands like Hugo Boss, Armani, Davidoff etc. Their fragrances are more complex, more layered and generally more classical, therefore not changing from season to season.

When you consider that a bottle of gucci can cost upwards of £40, it suddenly doesnt seem completely unreasonable to ask £60-70 for something considerably more complex, produced in much smaller quantity, in much nicer bottles, by a maker with a dedicated high street presence.

Ive used a few of their smells, and i'm a huge fan of opus. The first time my girfriend got a whiff of opus, she was taken by its complexity and tones immediately. Now she steals a little spray of it now and then when she thinks i'm not looking.

BEsides... if you phone the factory outlet stores, you can get 2x 100ml for £60... thats £30 a bottle, so they end up cheaper than the competition, and better.

I think the main reason for it is summed up in one word, “niche”.

No A list celebrities airbrushed to perfection adorning city centre advertising boards, on your TV screens or filling those lovely drivel filled expensive magazines.
They have client lists that are older than me, they use mailing lists like we have just seen from Truefitt & Hill and they give the impression that they are what we are buying into.

None of these houses which we can include Floris, the three T's etc spend millions on advertising to the wider public or make their products available in the same vain. “Just popping down to Boots or Superdrug love to pick up a bottle of English Fern or 88”.

I wouldn't say their ingredients are any better than the designer houses, in fact in some cases they don't come anywhere close, they suffer the same reformulations and cut backs, but they have us. Individuals that have stepped away from the pier pressured main stream and like a bit of understated panache, being able to walk into a room and not smell like half the other blokes in there.

As mentioned above, the closer you look at the price point per ml, the more level the playing field becomes.

As this is in the shaving cream thread and addressing that product specifically . . . the cream in the jar with the silver lid is (by all accounts) worth every single penny.

Back
Top Bottom