Penhaligons Lather

Got some Penhaligons soap for Xmas and the lather is quite thin and full of tiny bubbles no matter how much soap is loaded or how wet or dry the brush. As soon as I work it into my face it thickens up nicely to give a firm creamy lather.
No other soaps have been like this other than perhaps the early stages of building a lather with MWF. Shave is fine but I suspect I could get the lather better.
Is Penhaligons always like this or are there some tricks?
Brush is a Semogue SOC badger, water is pretty much average and I'm building the lather in a warm but not hot scuttle.
Thanks in anticipation.

I bowl lather with it and it behaves "normal" (soft water), it has a good cushion effect but it's not as slick as I like it. Not ultra easy to lather up, but not extremely hard either. So, for me, it doesn't behave like you describe it.

CMOT said:
Got some Penhaligons soap for Xmas and the lather is quite thin and full of tiny bubbles no matter how much soap is loaded or how wet or dry the brush.

I've been getting thin lather with Penhaligons soap too, in fact mine fizzles away within about 2 minutes of it being made, no matter how hard I load up. I've put it down to it just being a really crap soap, which is disappointing given the price.

There was a recent formulation change apparently (within the last 6 months) so Mikael's better results may be down to the older, better formula.

Not sure I can help any further really, I've pretty much given up on it.

I got some BB from the ebay seller that was listed here the other day. I used it first time this morning and have a different experience, more akin to Mikaels.

I put some water on the cake, soaked my silvertip and had a shower. Loaded the brush and bowl-lathered. Not a massive amount but a nice, firm, lather sufficient for a good, 3 pass, shave. Would have liked the scent to be stronger but it was nice nonetheless.

No hard work, just regular. Maybe it is sensitive to water composition? I dont have any problems with MWF either.

Got a better result this morning face lathering using same brush well soaked and then squeezed almost dry before loading. I didn't pre soak the cake this time. Needed very little additional water. For the record this is Blenheim Bouquet hard soap.

Back
Top Bottom