Penhaligons sample reviews

As so many of us have got samples I thought it might be interesting to post what we think of the scents we've got (as new Penhaligons users).

So far I've tried:

CASTILE

First impressions weren't good. I thought it smelt like cheapo Turkish cologne. However, after an hour or so of wearing it the scent changed and I actually like it a lot. Also (and importantly for me) the scent lasted a whole day.

ENDYMION

Initially my favourite scent from the samples I got. It does smell wonderfully on application but it has very little longevity (on me anyway) and I couldn't smell it after about 3 hours. What a shame.

DOURO

Tried my last sample this morning at half seven. Again, a very nice smell on application but as I type (at 1055) I can barely smell it anymore.

So, based on my trial I will only be buying Castile. Three hour longevity for £80 is appalling for a cologne.

I bought a bottle of Sartorial last month, it has excellent longevity on me, the smell seems to get mixed reviews but I love it. I got sent home with two samples each of Douro, English Fern and Juniper Slim. The only one of the samples I've tried yet was the Douro and, like you, I thought it was nice but not worth the £80.

CASTILE

A little too much at first, bit fly spray, but it settles nicely and yes it does last a decent amount of time, kept getting faint whiffs for most of the day. I quite like it although not sure i would buy a bottle at full price, but I'm tight!

ESPRIT dU ROI

I like this one from the start and it lasts well, I could smell it most of the day and it developed nicely. Slightly sweet and a little flowery but masculine and gets spicy/musky with time. Really quite nice.
On the cardboard outer it's called Esprit du Roi but the sample bottle and inside the outer says Anthology on it.

Anthology is just the series that it belongs to, they're a group of the oldest scents from way back that died out at some point, and have since been revived.

I'd recommend trying Elixir if you haven't already. The cinnamon note lasts for a long time and it mingles nicely with subtle spices. A great scent with lasting power.

Back
Top Bottom