Please can someone identify this for me?

It's a Gillette TTO razor, made in England.

Stamped under the base plate is 'Gillette' in the normal diamond shape frame, 'made in England' and to one side of the threaded rod '11' or 'II'

I think it's a flair tip- but not sure. Any idea of age or value as I want to sell it.

It's in very good condition- even has its own fitted case (which has suffered tearing on the inside) but no blade holder sadly.

Many thanks

[attachment=6283][attachment=6284][attachment=6285][attachment=6286][attachment=6287]

Attachments

• P1000746.JPG
    P1000746.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000745.JPG
    P1000745.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1000744.JPG
    P1000744.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P1000743.JPG
    P1000743.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 57
  • P1000742.JPG
    P1000742.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 46
Whatever it is that's exactly like what my dad shaved with when I was a kid until he went to cartridges late 80's. he thinks I'm mad going back to a de razor but hay ho each to there own

Dawson said:
I was given this link a few days ago, to help me date my Super SPeed Red Tip....Hope it helps you!

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

Fantastic- many thanks Dawson.

Mine is definitely a UK flare tip Rocket. Wonder what is worth?

Not a problem at all, It makes for a great read too! The guy was so lucky finding all those razors!!

As for the value of it I couldnt really say, I recently bought a FlairTip On here for £20, I dont know if yours will be worth more or less though, I guess if you have a buyer that really wants it then you'd get a decent price

I believe the Roman numeral 11 denotes that you have a TV Rocket, date 1957/58. These were a cousin of the USA made TV Special Superspeeds, brought out in 1954 to mark the Gillette Cavalcade of Sport. Inside, on the bottom plate, it should say Brit.Pat 694093. I have the same TV Rocket as part of a mint British Rocket Travel Set. Your box is from a British Rocket No. 59 set (1950s) I believe and is possibly the original. Gillette were known to use up older stock boxes to house the TV specials.
Last TV Rocket, unboxed. user grade, went for £26 on Ebay. On a good day, depending on condition, yours should fetch £30-35.

majortom said:
I believe the Roman numeral 11 denotes that you have a TV Rocket, date 1957/58. These were a cousin of the USA made TV Special Superspeeds, brought out in 1954 to mark the Gillette Cavalcade of Sport. Inside, on the bottom plate, it should say Brit.Pat 694093. I have the same TV Rocket as part of a mint British Rocket Travel Set. Your box is from a British Rocket No. 59 set (1950s) I believe and is possibly the original. Gillette were known to use up older stock boxes to house the TV specials.
Last TV Rocket, unboxed. user grade, went for £26 on Ebay. On a good day, depending on condition, yours should fetch £30-35.

Many thanks majortom. Great info

I also have the same razor as part of a travel set, if you havent used it yet, it is well worth a shave. It is one of my current favourites with a feather in it. Cant remember how much i paid for it but i think it was somewhere around 20-25 quid including the travel set.

In fact i havent usd it for a few days so i think i am away to have another go with it now

It's not a TV rocket as the knurling is different (see below):

mslrb5.jpg

It's just a standard flare tip rocket. They're still a nice razor though.

Tall_Paul said:
It's not a TV rocket as the knurling is different (see below):

mslrb5.jpg

It's just a standard flare tip rocket. They're still a nice razor though.
Yes, you're right Paul, I can see the banding now on Tony's, so it is a Flairtip.

Back
Top Bottom