Potato Scones

500g (1lb) mashed potatoes
100g (4oz) plain flour
50g (2oz) butter
Pinch of salt

A griddle pan is the best way to make potato scones though a frying pan can also be used. The trick is not to let the potato scones mixture get dry.

Boil the tatties and then mash them thoroughly. Add butter and salt if needed. A healthier potato scone recipe should omit the salt, but this is Scottish cuisine, so none of that bollocks here...

In a mixing bowl mix in the plain flour with the mashed tatties ensuring the potato scones mixture does not go dry.

Empty onto a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the mixture evenly and to a desired height of about 3mm. For this recipe for potato scones cut into the traditional shape of potato scones of triangles, though some bakers now sell round tattie scones, which is clearly an English plot to destabilise Scotland.

Put each triangular potato scone into the griddle or frying pan and cook on both sides until brown.

Serve whilst hot for tasty potato scones.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

haven't made these for a while, I was given a tip to keep the mixture as cold as possible whilst preparing.I might have to give this one a go tomorrow and report back!!

Do you eat the scones neat or as an accompaniment? Do you dip them in a sauce or what? C'mon, tell us more!!

I ask because we have some potatoes, flour, butter and salt in the house at the moment. Might make them for Sunday tea. :p

2508374183_2365d1b318_o.jpg

Serving Suggestion (note non-standard, not-Scottish Standards Institute approved shape of the scones on that one)

For a particularly calorific variant... put a slice of cheese between two scones and keep cooking until the cheese melts. Then take one bite and put on a stone.

Oh I see, more of a breakfast thing than for tea, but I might make them anyway. Just made me think of potato latkes, but these are not quite as simple to make. Here's a link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/potatolatkespotatopa_87525.shtml">http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 7525.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Personally I would have latkes for tea and not breakfast. Serve with Chrain, a spicy horseradish sauce or even just HP.

We have lots of visitors to my company form the US and they seem to get things like haggis with their breakfast thinking it is traditional. The last guy I gave a list of things to try, including tattie scones and plain bread.

I really like a tattie scone with a cooked breakfast, more so then hash browns.

They're the right shape for potato farls though. You can't beat an Ulster Fry - I like mine with fried pancake and hash browns too.

My mother used to make these and they were fabulous, much better than shop-bought. I could eat as many as she could make and then scrounge off my siblings. Never quite captured her standard myself yet.

As much as it would go against what I would normally eat I prefer Black Pudding to Haggis. I would only eat Black Pudding or Haggis if it is from a good local butcher. The Supermarket stuff is nothing but floor sweepings but my local butcher makes his own Black and Fruit pudding (and Haggis) which goes very nice with the proverbial tattie scone.

If he uses floor sweepings I am going to eat my dinner of his floor. Very nice and not to be missed if ever in the area.

hunnymonster said:
2508374183_2365d1b318_o.jpg

Serving Suggestion (note non-standard, not-Scottish Standards Institute approved shape of the scones on that one)

For a particularly calorific variant... put a slice of cheese between two scones and keep cooking until the cheese melts. Then take one bite and put on a stone.

Aye, i can feel my blood pressure spike just thinking about it. Sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom