Pre-Shave Routine Acceptable?

In the last month or so I've been experimenting to find a pre-shave routine that helped me get a better shave without irritation and I've come up with the following that's so far worked to give me the best and most consistent shave with the least irritation so far.

But as it's only short term, I was wondering if I could get an opinion as to whether it's acceptable.

Also this is with a cartridge razor so would it also pass over well to a DE?

I end up buying all these products from The Body Shop because until I started researching DE Razors I wasn't aware of other proper shaving companies, as all you can get in the high street tends to be Gillette's shaving foam, and I just can't get a decent shave with them. If there are better alternatives I'm happy to hear them.

I tend to shave before my shower because after I am too cold, and everything is foggy so I can't see myself shaving.

1) Maca Root Exfoliating Pre Shaving Scrub.
2) Put brush in bowl of water.
3) Maca Root Shaving Oil, rubbed between hands and applied to hairy parts to be shaved and left for a minute.
4) Maca Root Shaving Cream applied with brush (after flicking off excess water) to the hairy bits.
5) Dampen brush slightly then work cream into a good lather on face then leave for a minute or so.
6) Shave (1 WTG, 2 XTG reapplying from brush each time but not leaving to sit more than 30 seconds)

Is the above okay? And will it transfer across to a DE okay?

These products tend to work with my skin and not give me any rashes but are there any better alternatives? Any steps worth dropping or adding?

Perished said:
Wouldn't bother with Macca Root oil, in my experience it's rubbish. And shave after the shower. other than that... Try other products too, like Village Barber.

I am not sure on that oil myself to be very frank with you. Will try without for the next shave and see how it feels.

How does one go about solving the fogged mirror issue?

Saahil said:
Perished said:
Wouldn't bother with Macca Root oil, in my experience it's rubbish. And shave after the shower. other than that... Try other products too, like Village Barber.

I am not sure on that oil myself to be very frank with you. Will try without for the next shave and see how it feels.

Never tried the body shop stuff before, but I have tried oils and I don't like them much to be honest. One thing I can really recommend is proraso Rub it onto a wet face and it provides a very slick and comfortable shave underneath your chosen lather. It is a reasonably strong menthol and very good in the morning to wake you up, skin care is very good as well.
Personally I would also recommend shaving after the shower. While in the shower cover your beard in whatever soap you are going to use for your shave, or the proraso, even hair conditioner. It helps prepare the stubble for a nicer shave. The hot shower also makes blood flow to the skin to get rid of the heat from the hot water, making your skin puff up a little and your stubble stand out. While you are doing this your brush is soaking in a sink full of hot water alongside your soap and shaving mug/bowl if you have one. You cant avoid the fog in the mirror completely, but I have found that washing the mirror with a vineger solution can help a little, just keep a dry cloth nearby to wipe off the fog when it starts to re-appear.
Lather up the brush, apply proraso with fingertips and rub in, swish your lather over the face and then shave.
Alternatively try all the above but shave with cold water, counter-inuitive I know, but I have been experimenting with this the last week and the last remnants of irritation have all but dissapeared.
Experiment and have fun!

Saahil said:
Perished said:

Hello Saahil, re: Fogging mirror you can buy anti fogging mirrors... or simply use a tissue soaked in shampoo leave a thin film on mirror, don't wipe off.

I also believe you would be better off dropping the Cartridge Razor (now) you will not regret doing so...... possible contender's: Merkur 34C HD or Meuhle/Edwin Jagger 89 !!

Also your brush is this from Body Shop also, may I suggest a step up. We have a member called "Fido" whom is very knowledgeable as he makes and supplies shaving brushes too suit all tastes. Has his own website.

And lastly buy an Alum Block for those little nicks/cuts will all get...... and possibly some Vegetable Glycerine. Drop the Pre-Shave Oil and use the Glycerine Diluted 3/1 & use this as a Pre-Shave.

A big thumbs up for Body Shop Macca Root shaving cream....... a big tub £8.00p a bargain.

Charles U.K

Hot water is the best pre-shave prep, that and a clean beard. As I'm disabled, showering is awkward at best, so I wash my beard with a glycerine face soap and apply a very hot, wet flannel for a minute or two. I then rub in some Proraso pre-shave cream to keep my beard soft while I prep my lather. Obviously, if I face-lather, I have to work the brush on my face for a while in order to generate the correct consistency of lather, but I do much the same even if I bowl-lather - I work the prepared lather into my growth thoroughly before evening it out with paintbrush-style strokes.

I agree with much of what has already been written.

I don't shower before, but I use a gillette face, followed by the aforementioned proraso pre shave cream. A member on here sent me a part used tub of the BS Macca root and this is good stuff ( except I still can't make my mind up about the smell) here are loads of other creams and soaps to try. May I suggest a tube of Ingrams at about £1.50 a tube it is brilliant - local chemists or from Superdrug.

Don't forge the post shave routine as well. i used to suffer from lots of spots etc but don't get many at all now. Alum, witch hazel and a good aftershave will all help your skin.

Simon

Thank you for your informative replies.

Daz, I shall look into that rub you've recommended. With regards to the showering, that's a very fair point. I will try it also for the next shave. I've heard of a cold wash after shaving but not of the cold shave itself. Will try it too at some point.

Charles, I am definitely dropping the cartridge razor not to worry! The brush is indeed from the body shop and it seems to work well, but I've heard bad things about their lasting power, so will find Fido's website to get a better brush when it goes. I was actually going to ask about an Alum block, is there a preferred good one or are they all much the same?

Chris, when I got shaves in India and Dubai at barbers they used a hot towel and I always wondered about that. Might try it on those weekend shaves because they were always relaxing.

Simon, I will experiment with other soaps for sure when the body shop stuff runs out. The shaving cream in a tub is very easy to use and I like the smell of it, plus find it to be quite cooling too. Post shave I cleanse with the foaming tea tree cleanser and then apply the razor relief moisturiser balm to cool and moisturise the skin.

Sounds pretty much like you are well on the way already Saahil. Pick whatever you like out of the above and give it a try. If it doesn't work for you have a change, and keep changing until you find what works for you. Above all, always remember that is what's right for me may not be right for you. But only change one thing at a time! At least then you will know which one caused the change.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I prefer a styptic pencil for those nicks and cuts you get when you are not paying attention! Easily obtainable from Boots for about £1.85. I also use witch hazel after I have rinsed my face which helps the skin recover and I do this before I put any balm on. Again, you can get this from Boots and it's pretty cheap, just can't remember the price.

The Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream is great stuff, and highly regarded on most shaving forums, as is the face scrub. I use the shaving cream fairly often with my DE razors and my straight razors, and I like it a lot. I dunno about the oil as I have never tried it. You do not have to spend a ton of money to get good products, some of the best creams and soaps cost very little, so don't focus too much on the price and pedigree, worry more about the result. If a product works well, then who cares what anyone else thinks? Some of my favorite creams cost less than $5. Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit, Derby Normal, Karo Classic, and Real Shave Co. Sensitive all cost less than $5 and are amazing performing, well regarded creams.

You've got a good start, now all you need is a good razor, a feather light touch, and patience. You'll do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom