Pre-shaving oil vs beard oil

Hey guys.. New question :)

I mostly wear a goatee. Shaved it off for a couple of years as I taught myself SR shaving, but really now it's back and SRs help me a lot maintain its shape and I still enjoy wet shaving the rest of my face.

Anyway.. What's the difference between shaving oil and beard oil? Are they similar or interchangeable?

I ask because I would like to start oiling my goatee and wanted to figure if I have to purchase beard oil or is my shaving oil sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ffarouki,

Sorry only just seen your post, the main difference between a good quality beard oil and a pre shave oil is actually cost.

A preshave oil is really only about lubrication for your razor, so really you do not need to use expensive oils, a blend of extra virgin olive oil, and sweat almond oil would do, about 2/3 almond oil to 1/3 extra virgin. This mixture I have found has the right consistency, its thin enough to lubricate, and also helps keep your razor sharp.

Beard oil is more of a conditioner, and also a skin oil, it conditions your beard, stops dry skin under your beard and keeps your skin supple. Beard oil is generally more expensive as oils that are good for skin are not cheap. I use a blend of coconut oil, sweat almond oil and jojoba oil, and a few drops of vitamin e oil, about 1/3 of each. Jojoba oil and coconut oil are more expensive, and are very good for your skin, they also work as a post shave oil, as well as a beard oil :)

You can also scent the oil with extract oils, but that's is really down to personal taste, on what smells you like :)

Back
Top Bottom