Pressurised vs Non-Pressurised Baskets

Finally got a hold of the last attachment I needed and just finished doing the OPV mod on my Classic. Turned out to be easier than I expected.
Pressure reading before the mod:
[attachment=12357]
And after the mod (just over 10 bars of static pressure):
[attachment=12358]

Went out to buy some new beans today, so all is prepped for tomorrow's morning espresso. Will report back with my impressions on the post-mod shot.

Now that I've done the OPV mod, installed the Silvia wand, ordered a naked portafilter and acquired a decent tamper and non-pressurised basket, I think I've laid the foundations for a decent morning cuppa ;)
Have I missed anything?

Oh, and here's a thread explaining how to do a blind OPV adjustment, should anyone need it: http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?topic=231.0.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416336567.272005.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416336567.272005.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416336616.958266.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416336616.958266.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 16
Postponed my impressions by a day, seeing as I had an overextracted espresso yesterday due to the fact that I ground the coffee too finely. This morning, however, was a far different story: a perfectly calibrated shot, pulling 2oz in 26 seconds.
The result in the cup? Best espresso I've had to date with my Gaggia Classic! Admittedly, I am using a new batch of beans... but my espresso was far less bitter than what I was getting before, and I can now taste a greater range of flavours.
Bottom line, it seems like reducing the pressure to 9 bar was definitely worth it, and I do recommend it to all Gaggia Classic owners.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips.

Back
Top Bottom