Progress/Mergress Settings

Ids

After the progress blade thread I thought I'd get another going. I've a Mergress inbound and have never used an adjustable before, what advice does anyone have such settings for each pass etc?

Start off on 2. The progress can go mild but it is relatively aggressive. I dial down for subsequent passes.
Be sure to align the triangle on the side of the too of the handle with the tricky to see vertical line on the head or all the numbers will be out of sync and it won't tighten up properly

Never used a Merkur adjustable, but, based on how I use my Slim, I'd suggest trying a low setting for your first shave, and avoid changing the setting between passes.. I generally prefer to perform my WTG pass on a high setting (7 or 8), then drop-down two notches for the two XTG passes, and, if I feel the need to do any touching-up, I go down another notch. I suspect that my preference for starting on a high setting is due to a combination of heavy beard growth and the relative mildness of Gillette adjustables - if I don't set the razor high enough for the WTG pass, I find I have too much growth remaining for my XTG passes. If I were to try a Merkur adjustable, I'd probably try the opposite approach in order to make best use of the extra bite.

If you are looking for the DIY R41 experience just neglect to tighten your adjustable up the last quarter turn like I did this morning....complete pass with the slim adjustable on 7 thinking 'this is a bit scrapey and why do i have a big weeper on my chin' before I realised!

Tend to start with 9-7 WTG and then adjust between 7 and 5 mostly with Fatboy/slim/super gillettes for XTG/ATG passes - no experience with more modern ones.

My theory on shaving is, of course, different. The 1st pass should knock down as much beard as possible with the least "pain". To do this I use a lower milder setting with a WTG pass. Then I move up 2 - 3 notched, to a more aggressive setting. But I've now knocked down a lot of the beard and it doesn't feel as bad even ATG .

Johnus said:
My theory on shaving is, of course, different. The 1st pass should knock down as much beard as possible with the least "pain". To do this I use a lower milder setting with a WTG pass. Then I move up 2 - 3 notched, to a more aggressive setting. But I've now knocked down a lot of the beard and it doesn't feel as bad even ATG .

That's what I do too. Start on a more mild setting and then ramp it up for the ATG pass. Seem to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom