Proposed raffle rule changes

I believe the raffle rules could do with a little overhaul to make them a little less strict (or a bit more relaxed if you wish)

Here are my suggestions and the reasons for them:

Members are limited to ten tickets each.
Reason: There will be more tickets at a lower price. The change would encourage members to buy more tickets early on and move the sale of raffle tickets forward. We haven't had any problems yet with anyone trying to hoover up tickets. With 59 tickets there are plenty for everyone and no need to wait until selling panic sets in and the raffle is opened up.

Tickets not paid for within 24 hours will remain on sale and the request not actioned
Reason: I think the current rule is a bit draconian. There may be many reasons why payment can't be immediate. Say I pick a number using Tapatalk from my tablet, but only have access to PayPal on my computer at home (I don't trust public WiFi networks). If payment hasn't been received after a couple of hours, a PM is sent reminding the member of the fact. No public naming and shaming in the thread.

Payments without both pieces of information cause a lot of work and will be accepted as donations to TSR, not as ticket requests, if we can't easily figure out who the payment is from.
Reason: Again, the current rule sounds a bit harsh. Especially first time participants could make the error and would be discouraged to take part in the future. A PM explaining the situation should normally suffice. People are getting used to supplying both pieces of information now, so I see no need to be harsh. Let's chill.

Comments, please

Andreas

Rules are for fools and the guidance of wise men. I am a wise man. We had six 'donations' in the last raffle but all got tickets.

Edit: Rules are designed to be clear so that disputes may be settled fairly.

Long delays in paying cause more work in back checking.

Tickets are limited at the start so all get a fair chance. I think I've already said somewhere that with fifty-nine balls, we'll increase from two to four tickets at start out.

Combine your two and three and you'd have massive detective problems. Correction - I would.

Edit: - @riverrun - you are the second person to mention 'naming and shaming'. Where has this be done, please?

We've just had a 'What's wrong with the raffle' thread to canvas members' opinion, none of your suggestions were mentioned.

Last edited:
Well guys, just read the above and must say I don't know who's right and don't know who's wrong, and for the most part don't know what you are talking about ;) . However, do agree with the statement 'Tickets not paid for within 24 hours will remain on sale and the request not actioned
Reason: I think the current rule is a bit draconian' . When buying my first ticket I was a bit concerned about my money disappearing into the ether (which I suppose it did because I did not win). Hopefully it is just the first timers that make a mistake on this part and just a friendly reminder should be sufficient. Keep in mind it is very easy for one to be very kind and magnanimous when one is not doing any of the work.

Micheal

I'm content at the 'straight away' payments. Within milliseconds, two members wanted the same number in the last raffle. Both paid promptly but one paid first and got the ticket. With a 24 hour rule, that could have been reversed - requested first but paid second. 24 hours also becomes 36 becomes 48 and delayed finishes to raffles. I want to keep this tight and not go back to the old ways - pre- the suggestion from BraveBlades.

Several members have added a note to their ticket requests, saying they'll pay when they get home. This is cool and members have left the ticket alone.

Tight Rules give us the basis for a relaxed raffle, imo.

Well guys, just read the above and must say I don't know who's right and don't know who's wrong, and for the most part don't know what you are talking about ;) . However, do agree with the statement 'Tickets not paid for within 24 hours will remain on sale and the request not actioned
Reason: I think the current rule is a bit draconian' . When buying my first ticket I was a bit concerned about my money disappearing into the ether (which I suppose it did because I did not win). Hopefully it is just the first timers that make a mistake on this part and just a friendly reminder should be sufficient. Keep in mind it is very easy for one to be very kind and magnanimous when one is not doing any of the work.

Micheal
It's not about right and wrong. I just thought it might me time for a little discussion and I'm happy to hear Carl's point of view. I'm not unhappy as such with the current rules and at the end of the day Carl has to be happy with them more than anyone.

Andreas

initial thoughts:

love the call the number/pay for the number scenario with paid first gets the number (its a raffle, imagine it being a ticket book for a tombola or similar!), If you want it, you buy it, don't reserve it for later. If you don't trust 'open' wifi, dont buy the number? *edit: Dont buy the number at that time?

Always thought the raffle should be monthly & last draw of the month is when it is, perhaps first 10 days of the month 2/4 ticket limit, open it up after that to promote fair distribution? This is the main one for me, a level playing field is all thats needed really.

"Payments without both pieces of information cause a lot of work and will be accepted as donations to TSR, not as ticket requests, if we can't easily figure out who the payment is from."
Agree with Andreas here, as it's clear people are sending funds to TSRraffles@ and not something else to 'just' donate monies lets help them out if they make a mistake, it's supposed to be a giggle?

thanks

Alex

PS, I must have missed the 'What's wrong with the raffle' thread as I cant see it here >.<
PPS, thanks for all your hard work guys, much appreciated!

edit edit- I've now located the raffle thread in the general section!

Last edited:
It's not about right and wrong. I just thought it might me time for a little discussion and I'm happy to hear Carl's point of view. I'm not unhappy as such with the current rules and at the end of the day Carl has to be happy with them more than anyone.

Andreas
Realize there is not really a right or wrong on this, was just spoofing a bit. Still, I like your kinder and more benevolent stance on the payment issue, HOWEVER, if I was running the raffle and having all the hassle I'd probably insist on a cross being burned on a person's front door if they didn't pay properly ... then they'd remember how to do it properly next time (of course the raffle probably wouldn't last very long with me at the helm).

I think Carls rules are pretty clear and straightforward. You post your request and pay for your ticket straight away with your details in the payment.
Its like any other raffle/ lottery ticket you buy....... you pay there and then.
Agreed. I just think the wording is a bit harsh, but it's not a biggie.
I'll pick No 25 in the next raffle very quickly, I think.
Just kidding. :p

Last edited:
"Payments without both pieces of information cause a lot of work and will be accepted as donations to TSR, not as ticket requests, if we can't easily figure out who the payment is from."
Agree with Andreas here, as it's clear people are sending funds to TSRraffles@ and not something else to 'just' donate monies lets help them out if they make a mistake, it's supposed to be a giggle?
As I said, six members did not include both pieces of information and they all got the tickets they requested. It's a rule to help sort out disputes - imagine two players both want Ticket 49, request simultaneously and only one provides both pieces of information. Who would you give Ticket 49 to and who would you help sort out a different ticket? Apart from that, it's there to encourage folk to provide both pieces of information - and it worked! There were far more people who did than in previous raffles. Furthermore, if someone decides to cheat by editing their request post to the winning number, I have evidence as to who the winner is - not likely with our fine bunch of upstanding gentlemen, but possible.

Incidentally, the idea was given to me when I was going mental because almost no-one was giving me username and ticket number. I debated whether or not to put it in the Sticky and with a degree of discomfort, decided to include it. The more you test it, the more I think it a good idea, it would solve several dispute scenarios. The best way to get it removed, of course, is to make it redundant!

Firm rules help sort out any problems and have developed along with experience of the raffles, level the playing field and I use them to guide me - a wise man, not a fool.

Back
Top Bottom