Puma 89

I started working on a Puma 89 and while cleaning the scales I noticed a strong small, like camphor...I guess, are these made of celluloid?

The blade has very little rust HOWEVER the few spots go quite deep and when removed they leave a farly deep mark; luckyly around the edge the damage seems to be minimal/contained.

can the rust spots be the result of cell-rot? do I spend time in restoring the scales or just simply replace them?

this is the razor when I got it.
attachment.php

To me it looks like a well used Puma that has no real issues (apart from the heavy wear at the toe)

If you remove the pitting near the edge of the blade you will have trouble setting a bevel as the blade will vary in thickness along it's edge if you remove that pitting.The scales look fine to me.
If that pitting is very deep into the metal near the edge then you may never get an edge on it and it's junk.

All I would do with that is take a very fine micromesh to it (8000-12000grit) give it a polish up, hone and use!

There's quite a bit of hone wear towards the toe, and I'm not sure how deep that rust goes near the edge as well, I suppose the only way you will find out is stick it on the buffer and hope for the best.

Jamie

Yesterday I finished the Puma 89 and today I tested it with a nice Shave.

the blade took some work as it was rusted in few spots but those were quite deep, in fact there are left some deep marks that extend down to the edge; I did most of the polishing by hand except on the spine and the tang where I used a little bit of "machine help" .

I tried to save the etching, but i as soon as I touched it sort of disappeared; I guess I was supposed to cover it with tape before touching it, but i did not think it could be so delicate.

The honing took all the craters away and , fortunately, I could build a good edge and get it to shave ready state.

The scales were a little deformed and despite all my efforts I cound not straight them.

The pinning , again, developed few cracks, on the very edges of the domes, BUT i think I understand what is is the cause.... whenever I cut the Brass rod with the cutters, I then need to file it under the cut for at least 1mm or it will crack.

I guess that the cutters I am using are deforming the rod around the cut instead of making a clean cut so if I simply deburr the rod it will crack; I tried filing a little bit more and the crack does not develop.

For the next razor I will try a different set of cutters and see it that makes any difference.

Another thing that bothered me is that when polishing with micromesh the scales after finishing the pinning, there is some "bleading" from the brass pins into the scales, which leaves very faint golden marks on the scales; it will eventually polish away, but the result is not perfect...i guess when I repin it I will use a different material.

Anyways, as usual comments, advice and constructive criticisms are more than welcome.

here is a picture!

attachment.php

[attachment=6399]

Attachments

• puma refurb.jpg
    puma refurb.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom