R89; The Forgotten Sister?

I picked up a Muhle R89 today, and had my first shave with it. There is always a lot of conversation around its more fiery sister, the R41, but not that much about the R89.

Well, I think that's a shame. The R89 is a very fine razor, and happily not as mild as I feared it might be. It gave a very close shave after just two passes, and performed in line with my Merkur HDs. It is also beautifully finished.

All in all, I am really impressed. Oh, and it's naughty sister will be moving in very soon too!

Recommended.

I have both the Muhle & EJ 89'S, but use mainly the Muhle as the EJ is a bit heavier than the Muhle & I can get one or two nicks with the EJ, I think because of the extra weight of the razor ?! Either way they are both fine razors & far better finished than Merkur.

Neilo said:
I have both the Muhle & EJ 89'S, but use mainly the Muhle as the EJ is a bit heavier than the Muhle & I can get one or two nicks with the EJ, I think because of the extra weight of the razor ?! Either way they are both fine razors & far better finished than Merkur.

... and I've gone and put a Bulldog handle on my EJ De 89 head... so it's even heavier. Anyway... I also got a BBS this morning with only two passes (and no touch ups). But that is with the new love of my life... Personna Reds

Canuck has it spot on, I think.

The Muhle Grande R89 is what I'd suggest anyone pick up as their first razor - and in all honestly while I tried lots of different ones, I should have gone for that first and stuck with it. Muhle and Jagger designed the head between them.

I Bought the R89 Grande as my second razor, and it only got a look in now and again as I used the Merkur 34c mainly, It's still my second choice razor but only because I use its evil twin sister :icon_evil: the R41 as my No1 choice:icon_lol: so my Merkur HD will be up for sale soon no doubt

WiffWaff said:
Neilo said:

... and I've gone and put a Bulldog handle on my EJ De 89 head... so it's even heavier. Anyway... I also got a BBS this morning with only two passes (and no touch ups). But that is with the new love of my life... Personna Reds

I use mine with a Weber Bulldog handle too, I love the extra weight it gives.

OrangeSport said:
I picked up a Muhle R89 today, and had my first shave with it. There is always a lot of conversation around its more fiery sister, the R41, but not that much about the R89.

Well, I think that's a shame. The R89 is a very fine razor, and happily not as mild as I feared it might be. It gave a very close shave after just two passes, and performed in line with my Merkur HDs. It is also beautifully finished.

Hi there,

Up till a few years ago, the most aggressive currently made fixed head razor was probably the old Muhle R89 open comb. If I'm not mistaken, I think the R41 is a direct descendent.

I think you still see em for sale every now and then.

I've always thought of the R89 as the R41's toothless sister. I'm still plucking up the courage to have a close encounter with the John Bishop of DE razors. .

Might just take the leap!

Back
Top Bottom