Razor care?

I have a Edwin Jagger DE89, but im a total noob with it.

At the moment, all i do is rinse it after a shave and let it drip dry. Is this right?

I feel like i should maybe be taking it into 3 pieces and soaking them or something?

Any razor care opinions you have, let me know. Cheers guys.

Disassemble razor, rinse under tap or in clean water in basin, dry on towel. Rinse blade and pat gently to dry without wiping it as such (can dull the edges). Either leave out for an hour or so disassembled to fully dry or, if you're confident that it's dry already, reassemble and store away from the bathroom to prevent corrosion on surface of blade. Some chaps dunk the blade in mineral oil to displace any moisture - I think one member even stores his blades between shaves in mineral oil, though that seems at bit OTT in my opinion.

You can give it a clean in a weak solution of gentle washing-up liquid or similar with a toothbrush every few shaves to remove limescale/scum build-up, or soak it for a few minutes in a 9:1 solution of hot water and distilled spirit vinegar, then rinse in clean water.

If I am using the same razor and blade combo for consecutive days I just give the razor a good rinse between shaves. When the blade needs replacing I then take the razor apart and give it a good clean.

I typically use a blade per week. After the last shave with a blade, I rinse, disassemble and dry the razor, leaving it in pieces to dry fully. If there is a build up of soap scum, it'll get a scrub with an old tooth brush. When I'm not changing the blade, a good rinse with hot water (so that it evaporates more quickly) and dry anything with my towel that can be without touching (and potentially dulling) the blade.

_

Lose the beard said:
If I am using the same razor and blade combo for consecutive days I just give the razor a good rinse between shaves. When the blade needs replacing I then take the razor apart and give it a good clean.

I do the same as this although I loosen the head when rinsing and dry the handle (not the head) with a towel so the blade doesn't get touched.

I like a clean razor for every shave, so I dissemble the razor, and brush all the parts with a soft nail brush (kept specially for razors) under running water....vigorous shake dry and loosely assemble,ready for next time...

If the razor is going to be stored I dry it on a soft cloth, then leave out to thoroughly dry for 24 hours or so, before putting it away..

The blade is rinsed under the tap and "flicked" dry...I change 'em after three shaves anyway....

We all have our own ways...Me, I hate to see soap scum and limescale on razors.....I like clean, shiny things..

I rinse the razor under cold water and store the razor on its narrow edge in the open (after giving the cap a wipe with towel to keep it shiny :) ) to allow the moisture to run down the easiest way. Sometimes take the razor blade out and dab with tissue but follow the instructions for my 34C when changing blades and rinse in hot water using a nail brush to remove any build up of scale/product.

I just stick a blade in the razor, use it and rinse with hot water after each shave. I then give it a quick shake and hang it up to dry. That razor is used till it is time to change the blade and then I give it a quick clean.

I really think stripping razors down, patting blades dry and then leaving them in bits for an hour is inviting opportunity for blood letting. Any dulling of the blade from a single or short term exposure to water is not noticeable (in my opinion).

Then again I still hand strop each bade before I use it the first time so we all have our quirks. Do what suits you and your routine but don't over think it.

Back
Top Bottom