Re-plating advice sought

I picked up a 1949 gold Diplomat recently and although the plating is not too bad I would like to get it up to pristine condition. Can anyone recommend a good quality plating company? - I'm based near Birmingham so would have thought there are some local businesses given the association with jewellery.

Secondly, apart from the head I assume it makes sense to get the handle re-platred at the same time? (As you can see, I'm a novice at this).

Last question - what would a ballpark reasonable price be?

+1 on Dave - he can be a bit tardy responding to email, so you'll need to be patient, but the results are well worth the wait. Definitely get the whole thing replated; if you don't, the faded handle will stand-out against a newly replated head.

chrisbell said:
+1 on Dave - he can be a bit tardy responding to email, so you'll need to be patient, but the results are well worth the wait. Definitely get the whole thing replated; if you don't, the faded handle will stand-out against a newly replated head.

Thanks Chris and Steve. My (naive) question about the handle was because there is no plating loss - but I guess it's still worthwhile doing both to ensure colour match.

UKRob said:
I picked up a 1949 gold Diplomat recently and although the plating is not too bad I would like to get it up to pristine condition. Can anyone recommend a good quality plating company? - I'm based near Birmingham so would have thought there are some local businesses given the association with jewellery.

Secondly, apart from the head I assume it makes sense to get the handle re-platred at the same time? (As you can see, I'm a novice at this).

Last question - what would a ballpark reasonable price be?

Dave has re-plated a Progress and a Slim Adjustable for me both in gold in the last month or two , both fine jobs , you will have to be patient though I saw him last Friday and he was getting ready for a fortnights holiday , so dont be despondent if he doesnt reply to your e-mails straight away

Regards
Derrick

Back
Top Bottom