Recommend quality brush for reasonable £

I bought a cheap badger hair brush which I loved, until now because its shedding lots of hair.

How long would you expect a brush to last. What brush do you have and how long have you been using it? Also how much you paid.

Thanks

I have, erm, quite a few brushes and rotate them weekly.

The cheapest were my Vulfix 404 and Semogue 1305 at just over a tenner and neither of them have missed a beat. Fantastic VFM.

I have 4 though only 1 ( a New Forest 2202) is in daily service and has so far done about 18 months to 2 years without any issues or loss of hair. Its used most days, usually with a hard soap and (I'll post up a picture later) not really looked after that well by me (quick shake and back on the windowledge).

Brilliant brushes and wear well.

Edit:
d571d0ba.jpg

From L to R
Neep Custom - Heavy weigh & slightly softer than the New Forest brushes but works well with hard and soft soaps.
New Forest prototype - superb face lathering brush but getting very very little use
SteamPunkGlass Custom - Very soft and only suited to creams but very heavy (how I like em!)
New Forest 2202 - superb all rounder works well with anything and hasnt shed a single hair - handle is covered in soap! :icon_redface:

Father Ted said:
I have 4 though only 1 ( a New Forest 2202) is in daily service and has so far done about 18 months to 2 years without any issues or loss of hair. Its used most days, usually with a hard soap and (I'll post up a picture later) not really looked after that well by me (quick shake and back on the windowledge).

Brilliant brushes and wear well.

Edit:
d571d0ba.jpg

From L to R
Neep Custom - Heavy weigh & slightly softer than the New Forest brushes but works well with hard and soft soaps.
New Forest prototype - superb face lathering brush but getting very very little use
SteamPunkGlass Custom - Very soft and only suited to creams but very heavy (how I like em!)
New Forest 2202 - superb all rounder works well with anything and hasnt shed a single hair - handle is covered in soap! :icon_redface:

Nice items there, bet they don't stay like that, only there for the photo opp! Haha

I usrd to be happy with my frank shaving from ebay. Ive found better (also more expensive)ones since. It was something like 20 $ including shipping.

mrkiii said:
I usrd to be happy with my frank shaving from ebay. Ive found better (also more expensive)ones since. It was something like 20 $ including shipping.

Same here. I've got a Frank Shaving Portland in Finest. It looks and feels a bit cheap compared to my other brushes, but is a great performer for the price (approx £18 inc postage). I never got on with my 404, finding it too scratchy (I mostly face lather) - the FS feels much nicer on the face.

Aim high as with everything you buy, buy the best you can afford, buy cheap buy twice. If I were you I would contact Bill AKA Beejay, I know he's a busy man but it's worth waiting for a bespoke brush.

Jamie.

If you want a good cheap brush, the Men-U plastic handled bristle brush is great for £7-8 (that was years ago mind). It's my travel brush for when I don't want to pack an expensive silvertip. It has lasted for years and tbh it gives a first-rate lather with a stick of Palmolive. Ideal for face lathering, if you like a brush that gently exfoliates. Of course, it doesn't feel as nice on the face as a badger brush.

Drroly said:
If you want a good cheap brush, the Men-U plastic handled bristle brush is great for £7-8 (that was years ago mind). It's my travel brush for when I don't want to pack an expensive silvertip. It has lasted for years and tbh it gives a first-rate lather with a stick of Palmolive. Ideal for face lathering, if you like a brush that gently exfoliates. Of course, it doesn't feel as nice on the face as a badger brush.

It was my first brush, but I have to admit I could never get it to lather anything.:icon_rolleyes:

Tbh I've only ever tried it with a Palmolive stick as it stays in my travel bag. Here's how I do it:

- Soak brush in hot water
- damp flannel on face for 2mins to prep stubble
- rub stick over stubble until entire area has a thin covering
- remove brush from water and give it 2-3 flicks to remove loose water
- face lather vigorously for about 1 min
- enjoy your thick, cushioning lather!

Always worked a treat for me :)

pugh-the-special-one said:
Aim high as with everything you buy, buy the best you can afford, buy cheap buy twice. If I were you I would contact Bill AKA Beejay, I know he's a busy man but it's worth waiting for a bespoke brush.

Jamie.

IMO bespoke and luxury is nice, but entirely optional - this is not an area where you *have* to spend big to get the 'best', which is entirely subjective. Some people just don't like the cloud like feel of high end badger. In fact, costly badgers of every brand can have shedding problems too, due to the fact they're entirely handmade, and the overstuffed nature of the knots - these two things more than anything, account for the high cost. The price doesn't necessarily buy reliability. Because of this type of manufacture even Simpson has its duds, and they are renowned for their quality.

I've probably spent close to $300 on brushes in the last 3 years and the best of the lot were the cheapest - the boars and the entry level Simpsons in Best. I do like simpsons, but the luxury ones are pricey, and IMO are far more finnicky to use due to the massive density.

My picks would be something like a Simpson Berkeley or Duke 1, or Commodore in Best Badger. In boar, Omega 100005 is a no fuss workhorse of a boar for less than a tenner, and any Omega around 55mm loft is going to serve you well. Semogue make good boars, but too many of them are too soft through the knot IMO - they appear to be going for a luxury boar type product.

Back
Top Bottom