Restorations - opinions and advice (plating mainly)

Didn't know whether this is the right section or not, related a bit I guess

First up the article in question is a Rolls Razor, this particular model isn't anything special, has no sentimental value and I'm not in any way attached to it - if I saw another at a good price I'd buy it. Just like the current attachement I have to my car, it will eventually end up in a different guise to repair something that is "special" and has value.

With that out of the way...

I gifted the mint one to my Father and have ended up with a tired but perfectly functional one that I want to make better.

I'm after some advice on plating, prepping metal and if anyone has split one of these right down. On the inside it looks like the two parts of the main case might be spot welded of fused together in some way - is anyone able to confirm this? And if this is/isn't the case, does anyone know how to get the handle mechanism out, as I'm probably not going to want to get that plated.

Secondly does anyone have any experience with prepping plated metal, this will obviously have to be stripped, probably chemically before a re-plate but there is some corrosion. I'm thinking of getting this back to fresh metal but then not too sure what to do. Lead loading would probably be good but it is tiny bits we are talking about, and as I want it plated body filler is out of the question...

I've looked at some brush plating kits, and although they look good, I think I am after a completely different colour/plating (probably still nickel, I'm not 100% sure without talking to some companies) so I'm probably looking at tank plating. If I plated the whole mech it shouldn't affect its working right? Or would the tolerances be changed to a point that it would cause issues, chip or come off too easily in use?

Anyone have experience with restoring? Trawling the web doesn't bring much up other than straights whcih is a good place to start but not much else.

Thoughts? Advice? Pearls of wisdom?... :)

Al

For £20 or less send it to Safteyrazors.co.uk and save yourself the hassle, chemicals for plating are really nasty.

Think this might be a touch more than £20 as its the whole case, but I'll send them an email and get some pics over to them to see what is said.

The question is can they do the all important finish that I want - and not that I want to reveal that before the final article is done! :D

Are you sure this is the direction to take? Without looking too hard there are quite a few on ebay in very good condition and at reasonable cost.

I have thought about that, maybe getting a better condition one and then getting the plating stripped and re done. This would also land me with another blade or two too. Although this already stands out from the pack I want to give it a bit more "me" of a touch

Back
Top Bottom