Rod Neep Custom Walnut & Copper

I recently contacted Rod Neep and asked if he could make me a custom brush. The brief was a cone shaped brush from walnut with a copper collar and a copper band.
A few emails later and Rod thankfully took the job on, it was experimental ground he was treading with the copper band. The brush was to be a 26mm super silver tip.
I received the brush from Rod this morning and I can only describe it as a work of art, excellent craftsmanship from an artisan.
I set about whipping a couple of lathers to break it in and it was super soft on my first shave using it. I'm over the moon with it Rod, thank you.

I wish I could do it justice but I'm not into photography so my phone is my only camera, apologies. I appreciate it won't be to everyone's taste and it isn't a 'traditional' handle shape but I know what materials I like, what feels comfortable in my hand and generally what floats my boat.

Here's a link to a 'making of' on the Pens Of The Forest website.

http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving/brush-making/coppercollar/index.html

8548d50c.jpg

15407635.jpg

3bf19074.jpg

Once again, thank you Rod

What coating does the copper have, brcause you know what happens to copper when left to it's own devices, it quickly turns green, and if you have had anything to do with copper it'd gives off a fairly unpleasant smell, I dont mean to put you off but i'm not sure about copper as a metal I would use in a brush handle.

Jamie.

Thanks for your concern but I'm fully aware of copper and the patina it gets. I have no issues with copper being a wet environment. Sinks and bath tubs have and continue to be made from it. The antimicrobial properties of copper are well documented. The patina develops over a very long period of time, the patina adds character. It can be polished and a wax applied. I asked Rod if he could do it in copper and I'm more than happy to have it in a shaving brush.

Great looking brush Wookie......the copper in the handle goes very well with your shaving bowl(great photos BTW)... I might save up and have a custom brush made for myself for Christmas.

Very nice it would go well with some of the older Gillette copper and brass razors. Plus like the longer handle, I give you so many more bowl/cup options.

Thank you for the comments.

As well as the brush I asked Rod if he could make me a couple of everyday ball points as, well, both me and Mr's Wookie have a need for a ball point every day. I would have loved one of Rod's fountains but I wouldn't use it.
The first is one for me in, you guessed it, walnut and copper, as I expected, Rod has done a fantastic job once again. This won't be my last dealings with Rod.
524cb42d.jpg

The second pen is for Mr's Wookie. I asked Rod if he would make me one in the rare African Pink Ivory wood with Gold fittings. Another fantastic job as Rod informed me it can be difficult to work with creating pens.
b609d12e.jpg

Thanks again Rod.

Wookie said:
Thank you for the comments.

As well as the brush I asked Rod if he could make me a couple of everyday ball points as, well, both me and Mr's Wookie have a need for a ball point every day. I would have loved one of Rod's fountains but I wouldn't use it.
The first is one for me in, you guessed it, walnut and copper, as I expected, Rod has done a fantastic job once again. This won't be my last dealings with Rod.
524cb42d.jpg

The second pen is for Mr's Wookie. I asked Rod if he would make me one in the rare African Pink Ivory wood with Gold fittings. Another fantastic job as Rod informed me it can be difficult to work with creating pens.
b609d12e.jpg

Thanks again Rod.

didn't realize he makes fountain pens. i shouldn't be surprised you can find nearly anything here

Back
Top Bottom