Rolling blade PIF idea.

MPH

Hi,

I have been mulling something over for a while and would appreciate your opions if you have any.

Basically, as most people do I bought a selection pack of blades once upon a time and with many packs I used one or two blades and knew they were not for me. As such I have a collection sitting there doing nothing. I thought I would PIF them, but that would only help one person, so I wondered how my little stash could be more useful to more people.

The idea I have is to PIF the blades to someone on the understanding that they will take what they want, maybe add to the stash (but no obligation) and then pass it on. I wondered if it would be possible to, over time, create a TSR blade "stash" that can be moved around to whomever wants it. Generally of course the users would be depleting it, but every know and again if an experienced member added some blades I am sure it could keep going for a while and benefit many members.

So I was thinking something like this:
  • Some takes the blades on the assumption they will comply with the rules.
  • When finished taking a selection of one or two blades from each pack, they should add to the stash if they can and advertise on TSR BST (as PIF) for the next member.
  • They need to add a photo showing all the blades available in the stash, so others can add any new ones if they wish.
  • If the stash reduces below a certain limit of blade types (???) They should put out a call on TSR to see if anyone is willing to add any to keep it going.
  • If no one replies they are welcome to keep what they have and the PIF is over.
One way to do this would be to create a list of those who want to be iinvolved, as per a "pass around", but I don't want to be in charge of that forever, so the above puts the organisational emphasis on the member with the blades!!!

Questions:
  • So.......Do you think could work and benefit many, or just fizzle out?
  • Should I limit this to members with a certain post score? I.e. don't want the stash stolen by someone we don't know.
  • Is there anything I could do to maximise chances of this succeeding? I.e. encompassing lots of members, not just one or two?
  • Has this been tried before? If so, any lessons learnt?
Any thoughts welcome, or I will just crack on and see what happens.

Matt

Good idea, I won a pif of blades a while ago and did something similar. Took some blades out and pifed the rest.

There was a blade passaround a while ago but it seemed to fizzle out. I think it's a good idea though.

I've also seen a "box tour" on another forum where the box includes razors, aftershave and soaps etc with people exchanging as it goes.

Throw 'em in the Newbie Passaround? It was made as an attempt to resuscitate the wonderful 'Blade Bazaar' Passaround which went MIA a long time ago.

Unless this is supposed to be limited to 'established' members who mainly want to experience new and exotic types of blade?

Its a good idea, but I think you'll struggle to keep it going long term. It has taken a long time to get the Beginners pass around going...
Edit beaten to it @Burgundy. The Blade Bazaar was a great pass around and could be kept going indefinitely - a merger would be a good idea?

Last edited:
My idea was mostly intended for beginners, but with the occasional experienced member to add to the total.

More than happy to add these to the newbie pass around if this scheme is up and running.

Damn beaten to it. That's my chance of a knighthood gone!!!! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom