schick b1 my new arrival

[attachment=9745][attachment=9746]Just arrived today, hardly a blemish on it apart from some black in the grooves, am going to try some silver cleaning dip on it. does anyone have any ideas on cleaning it up apart from that. Also i was wondering, what would be the best stuff to use to lubricate the internals, the mechanism works ok, but is a tad stiff.

regards rob

Attachments

• 39c.jpg
    39c.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 35
  • 40c.jpg
    40c.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 38
I have never had one of those razors - they look great!

As far as cleaning, since I'm not sure what it's plated in I can't say for certain if it'll be safe, but I made this thread on cleaning non-gold razors.

If it's silver, you could try the aluminium foil and baking soda trick.

As far as lubrication, I have soaked numerous stiff TTOs in baby oil overnight and it's done them the world of good. I like to move all the parts now and then whilst it's soaking to make sure it's all lubricated.

thanks for the reply and link mulligano, will have a go with what you said, the baby oil is something i would never of thought of..was thinking more in the lines of wd40 of graphite powder for the internals, but i think the baby oil would be less harsh and less messy, btw it is silver plated, and have ordered some goddards dip and a cloth in aticipation.

What a catch!!!

Now, in my collection I have a good number of razors which I've cleaned up and they look very presentable, but just recently I've been experimenting with a new de-tarnish routine which is giving my already good looking razor a really good shine!

Take a milk pan and line it with tin foil to about half way up. Pour in boiling water to about two thirds the way up and just as it comes up to a rolling boil, drop in a tablespoon of soda bicarb and a good pinch of salt.

Drop the razor in and boil it for about 10 minutes.

Let it run under cool water for a few minutes and you're done - any hard to get tarnish will have removed.

This routine is perfect for silver coating, but works equally well for all manner of vintage razors. I gather this is NOT good for gold plated and I would err on the cautions side for plastic and bakelite.

Lubricating, I'd say some Ballistol would do the trick. I tend to use a metal cleaner called De-Solv-It, which is a bit hard to come by, and that works as a nice second step where something like Peek and a duster is not needed. That cleans and lubricates. Ballistol should do you proud.

The method described above is what I meant when talking about the "aluminium foil and baking soda trick", but I don't boil the water with razor in it (probably being over cautious).

If it is silver plated, then this method is a great way to de-tarnish. It can be repeated a few times to completely clean it. It works due to a chemical reaction between the foil and tarnish and is quite harmless to the razor.

thanks again mulligana and also pjgh, i like the sound of Ballistol, after all the razor was made by the Magazine Repeating Razor Company, so it has a gun based theme. will try the baking soda trick, with cold or warm water maybe, not sure i am brave enough to boil it, but i am sure it would not harm it.

I've just received a B2 (silver plate) and a C2 ( gold open comb) Both were pretty black looking. Gave them a run over with some Brasso Duraglit (doesnt harm them) leaving them both untarnished and looking like new. A soak in some 3-in-1 oil followed by a steep in Johnston's baby shampoo. Both working great, and shaved with the C2 this morning. Beautiful heavy objects of desire!

Back
Top Bottom