SE Next Step

Okay okay, so you lot won. I have now been bitten by the SE bug after trying and loving a 1912 Every Ready. Its now my go to razor.

So, the question is what is next on my shopping list (without breaking the bank). What should be my next SE razor (I already have a Pal Injector thingy which I was not impressed with, worst shave ever, I suppose I should try a modern blade in it).

What sort of razor should I be looking for next to carry on this journey?

Micromatic Bullet-tip is a must have IMO. Could try an open comb MM too if you can get one at a reasonable price. It bites though, big time. There's a Streamline too, if you like all things British, and it's a good quality build too.

I have a number of single edge razors now and a couple really stand out for me:

Micromatic Bullet Tip - very smooth, appears mild but very capable and a lovely build. Chalk and cheese different to the 1912, like the Tech is against the New.

Valet - I have a VB1 where the blade slides in. Can be iffy to load if you're not paying attention, but takes Feathers and de-spined GEMs without issue. Very open comb and if you get the VB1/VC1 the aggressiveness can be tamed ever so slightly by drawing the blade back while it is still captured by the stays at the front.

There's also the Wilkinson Sword Empire, which is fun, but look carefully at the rollers up front to ensure they're intact. Complicated piece of kit, which is huge fun to polish up, but a bear to clean out old and mucky ones.

Agreed about Valet - a good one for collection. Dirt cheap, relatively easy to find in a good condition, and looks like some steam punk contraption.
I'd also recommend trying pre 1900's Star razor (looks like a medieval torture device), they're hard to find, can be expensive, but damn fine shavers.

Greetings

How about one of the three Micromatics, they are all (IMHO) really good shavers and wonderfully built but all very different in how they perform.

The oldest of the three (1929) and what I consider the best safety razor made is the OCMM, it is quite aggressive and a bit unforgiving but I feel nothing shaves quite like it.

The middle model is the Clog-pruf (1934) an excellent shaver moderately aggressive more forgiving then the OCMM.

The newest model (1938) is the Flying Wing or Bullet Tip, this is a gentle shaver and I think the best shaving of all the milder SE's.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom