Sharpness

Interesting thread this - if only for the "horses for courses element" !

From Wilkinson Sword mystery blades, to derby extra, to 7 o'clock yellow, I have stuck on the latter.

Three weeks in, closest shave for ten years.

In your face Azor.

Hiya,

When I think of blades and how they perform, how smooth they are usually translates to how sharp the blade is. Seems like if the blade drags then it's not as sharp as I need. Now I also don't need a blade any sharper than the one that cuts without any effort, and that doesn't mean the Feather's the answer. Those can be too sharp in many razors, at least for me. No, the idea is to find a blade that's just sharp enough.

So I go by how smooth (sharp) and also by how forgiving the blade is. That's a big part of using the perfect blade......the little bit of warning before disaster strikes is very important. Yeah, you gotta have a cushion (or buffer if you like) to be able to do a perfect no drama shave.

Martin

Well spoken Martin! It's the same with straights, they can be crazy sharp, but it's a question of finding your best type of sharpness (balance between sharp and smooth)...

You know, my dear Martin, a lot of folks with sensitive skin use straights - it works better for them (than DEs and other razors). I get the feeling you would be a good candidate for straights, you have your technique down to perfection when it comes to DEs and I'm sure the transaction time would be futile for you and you know I could help you to find a good straight razor :D

I believe dodgy is a lot more sensitive than he lets on and would just love your tender,understanding help and guidance, Mikael, in his journey to a straight life.

Mikael said:
I get the feeling you would be a good candidate for straights. I could help you to find a good straight razor :D

Dear Mikey,

So you think I'd be suited for a straight shave eh? Think I'd like learning a whole new technique that would take me six months to start getting consistantly good (but not great) shaves? Figuring out how to strop and hone, and learning about the various razors, and which one fits me best. Yeah, that sounds like a real riot. Not to mention the rough ride getting to that point, and figuring it's another six months before things finally come together as they should. Jeeez, how could I say no to that?

See, the main problem is I'm not as 'enthusiastic' about straights like I am with a DE razor. Yeah, you really gotta be motivated (nuts) to shave with a straight, and I ain't. Heh, I do however enjoy your relentless desire to help me with stuff like straights and coffee.

Thank you SO much for thinking of me,

Martin

thinking this one over... i don't know that vindaloo is even a good comparison :)

I've eaten vindaloo in some of the UK's finest curry houses, and a good one, done well, has a fullness of flavour that cuts through the heat. It could almost be compared to the sharpest blade that manages to have the smoothest finish. Perhaps something like an Iridium :)

A feather blade, is more like a really bad kebab on a friday night with far too much chilli sauce in there. Its hot, it hurts and its not clever :) (but is, on occasion, good fun to try)

My preference is for the Garlic Chilli Chicken. Enough heat to give you a problem the following morning (you know what i mean) but also enough depth to make for enjoyment. Thats why i'll settle with my Personnas :)

dodgy said:
Figuring out how to strop and hone, and learning about the various razors, and which one fits me best. Yeah, that sounds like a real riot. Not to mention the rough ride getting to that point, and figuring it's another six months before things finally come together as they should.

But, Martin, you would not be alone figuring those things out... I, erhh, we would help you on the way and with your skills and know how it would take less time that for most (combined with the help, it'll be like no time at all:)). See, you're no alone in this Martin, let us help you!

Yes! If the blade is too sharp I feel a bit sore afterwards. But it also depends on the razor. If I use a Feather blade in my Merkur open comb razor I have no problems at all, and the combination is just right.

But if I use a Feather in my Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razor, the blade is too sharp and the combination is not right at all. So a milder blade like a Wilkinson Sword, 7 O'clock green, 365, or Superthin works well.

Mikael said:
But, Martin, you would not be alone figuring those things out... I, erhh, we would help you on the way. See, you're not alone in this Martin, let us help you!

Dear kindly Uncle Mikey,

Hah, that's pretty funny. Any new member reading those sincere sounding words might think to himself "Gee whiz, what a swell guy that Michael is". Yeah, that's because they wouldn't know your MO (modus operandi) when it comes to offering to help in some way.

You gotta remember that I saw what happened to poor Slimbo when he posted his innocent question about what the best brand of instant decaf coffee might be. You were at your most helpful then........

Nuff said,

Marty

Mikael said:
Well spoken Martin! It's the same with straights, they can be crazy sharp, but it's a question of finding your best type of sharpness (balance between sharp and smooth)...

You know, my dear Martin, a lot of folks with sensitive skin use straights - it works better for them (than DEs and other razors). I get the feeling you would be a good candidate for straights, you have your technique down to perfection when it comes to DEs and I'm sure the transaction time would be futile for you and you know I could help you to find a good straight razor :D

your right with that,

i was bracing myself to have a few cuts

i use my side cutters to cut a feather de blade in half

put it in my shavvete, gave a way better shave than ive been getting from the blades in my de razor.

guess ill have to try some other de's at some point

For the past week or two I've been using some Super thins (kindly PIFd to me). My usual blades are the Gillette yellows.

I went back to the yellows today and I think they're just as smooth but definitely sharper! Got a bit of irritation (and a few blood spots on my neck) as my technique must have slacked a bit.

dantheman said:
For the past week or two I've been using some Super thins (kindly PIFd to me). My usual blades are the Gillette yellows.

I went back to the yellows today and I think they're just as smooth but definitely sharper! Got a bit of irritation (and a few blood spots on my neck) as my technique must have slacked a bit.

Yes. One's perception of sharpness and smoothness is not absolute, but relative.

And you are dead right about technique. Change from one razor to another and one blade to another frequently, as I like to do, and you take some of your own ability out of the equation, which might affect how sharp/smooth the blade feels.

This is too serious for a Sunday! But of the currently manufactured blades, a one day old Yellow feels best to me. They seem to need that little bit of running in.

Back
Top Bottom