Simpsons Polo 8 & Emperor 3

Hi team,

I normally don't start this type of threads but I'm on the fence in getting either brush (Polo 8 or Emperor 3) in 2B Super or Best and I'd like some opinions if anyone can assist.

I know the Emperor 3 comes out in Super only but the brush(es) will be ordered directly through Mark at Progress-Vulfix, so I can most likely choose any hair type I like and the desired loft as expected.

To my understanding at least one member here has both models, so any feedback is appreciated. Having been using my SOC (badger and boar versions) but also the Omegas No. 48 but also No. 98 lately, I have discovered I like very much larger handle brushes - thus I feel the Polo 8 handle especially will be ideal.

The Polo 10 has been excluded so far, and if anyone would have a particular suggestion for what hair type and loft I should choose for the Polo 8 and Emperor 3, it will be greatly appreciated.

Preferred method of lathering is on the face and not bowl.

Thank you.

Hi K,

Hope your well mate.

I have an emperor 2 in super 3 band. It has a fan shaped knot.

For a face latherer it's lovely, I feel that the fan just enhances that wall of badger feeling. Also the density is just right. It's a really flexible knot.

What size is the knot on these brushes K?

For the Emperor 3 the nominal knot size is 23mm, if i am not wrong.

However, few years back, there have been a number of Emperor 3 models with 20-21 mm knots. That was well off the advertized specs, I've found a thread just now over at SRP, our Peter here was providing feedback there as well.

I suppose these rare cases had to do with possible QC issues Progress-Vulfix had at the time, however I am not aware of anything like that now. The two Simpson brushes I have had custom made five months back are absolutely terrific performers, I cannot praise Progress-Vulfix enough.

What loft size is yours? I need to think whether to ask for 50 or even 52mm loft on the Emperor 3 brush, should I choose that.

My e2 has a knot of around 21-22mm with a loft of 45mm.

It's a really nice balanced knot.

I have a few Simpsons brushes in best that are meant to have 23mm knots. My Duke 3 and Chubby 1.

The Duke is more like a 24-25mm knot with a 50mm knot, again a really nice balance but feels very special due to it's softness and 'wall' feeling. The hair in this brush is softer and much better then my super graded Simpsons brush.

My chubby on the other hand is a 23-24mm knot and has a loft of 47mm. This brush is a bit more flexible than the duke, for me it has a perfect back bone. The tips of the hair are perfect.

IMO I'd say going for 52mm loft would be a touch too much loft if you were to go 3 band best hair. 50 on a 23 offers luxury and 47 on a 23 will give you a touch more scrub which is nice.

I've never tried Simpsons 2 band so can't really give you a balanced view on that.

Hope that helps a bit K!

Dipesh said:
All good here K!

You want any pics of the trio in question? It will help you get the idea of density etc etc..

I have the Duke 3 in Best, 50mm custom loft - but just a picture or two of the Emperor 2 alone would not harm... If you can, of course. Thanks so much Dipesh.

Sorry about the rubbish iPhone pics!
031d6545.jpg

d4869ce1.jpg

Duke made an appearance! I'd already taken the snaps.

Density is e2-d3-ch1.

Hope that helps!

No contest...Polo 8 in two band super, nice 25mm chubby dense knot with a nice long handle, order the loft as you like. The E3 Best will be mush in no time.

antdad said:
No contest...Polo 8 in two band super, nice 25mm chubby dense knot with a nice long handle, order the loft as you like. The E3 Best will be mush in no time.

Agree fully, pointless to go with brushes that are good but not as good as the PL.

Have moved my thinking now to get a PL10 though...

This can carry on forever, when you don't have the brushes in front of you in a shop to hold and feel them, it's admittedly hard and risky (at this price level) to decide.

Back
Top Bottom