slant blade alignement

Hiya,

Man, there's more interesting crap on slants in this thread than I can remember seeing in one spot. Even things I never saw typed before. Some good posts, (especially by CB), that bring up points that aren't the same old common ones.

Far as lining up the slant type razor blade gap, it's gonna be even with whatever the blade's holes are being skewered by to hold it in place. Yeah, that top part.

Otherwise, what would you do when loading a blade in a slant with a really severely twisted safety bar? We've all seen how crazy some can get to be...how can you even think of lining the blade up that crookedly?

That make sense?

Martin

JohnnyO said:
Yanker in a strange land.

Am I alone in wondering what (or even whom) The Dodgester is "yanking" ? I feel we should be told .

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Hey, it's one of my favorite old geezers to type at,

First, consider me talking in caps, to make up for your hearing problems. Same thing I do for Faddah Ted...

Anyway, this is a rare case of non yanking activity on my part. It's true. The 'Yanker' in question comes from splicing Yankee with Wanker......Yanker. Guess I could made it 'Wankee', but it sounds kinda sissy boyish.

LOL Hi Martin I've been looking at that yanker for a bit now,,and thinking should I PM you about what that rhymes with (wanker)...I should have known you were working with that:icon_razz:

I've just done as you say, Chris - letting the blade appear over the horizon - and get the same result. The razor aligns the blade - chuck it in, tighten and shave. The slack between the blade holding prongs and the holes in both the head and the blade all gets taken up during the tightening process and gives good alignmenrt to this Engineer's eye.

So I compared the slant with the Merkur barberpole - 'exactly' the same razor except not a slant. The same amount of slack between prongs, blade and head exist in that razor, too - and it also tightens to give good blade alignment.

So what to conclude? You have a defective razor that should be returned - if you care enough. All my kit - and I have lots of it - works fine and doesn't have defects. Unfortunately, you can't seem to say the same.

And btb, I have very soft, tender, sensitive facial skin and a tough beard. No bravado from this Super Wuss!

Bechet45 said:
I've just done as you say, Chris - letting the blade appear over the horizon - and get the same result. The razor aligns the blade - chuck it in, tighten and shave. The slack between the blade holding prongs and the holes in both the head and the blade all gets taken up during the tightening process and gives good alignmenrt to this Engineer's eye.

So I compared the slant with the Merkur barberpole - 'exactly' the same razor except not a slant. The same amount of slack between prongs, blade and head exist in that razor, too - and it also tightens to give good blade alignment.

So what to conclude? You have a defective razor that should be returned - if you care enough. All my kit - and I have lots of it - works fine and doesn't have defects. Unfortunately, you can't seem to say the same.

And btb, I have very soft, tender, sensitive facial skin and a tough beard. No bravado from this Super Wuss!

Glad to hear yours aligns well, Carl. It seems that the "horizon" viewing angle shows the alignment for what it is. I'm not really inclined to return mine, as it doesn't take that much tweaking to get the correct alignment, and, with a Feather blade, it shaves so efficiently that I wouldn't want to lose it from my arsenal. To me, learning how to align the blade is no different to getting used to the cutting angle of a razor - it's all part of the experience.:icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
JohnnyO said:
Any chance that this is related to that hoary old fave ........... Merkur's quality control over the last couple of years ?
The 37c & 39c slants I had in the past & the Hoffritz slant I presently have don't (& didn't) require any special loading procedures. Just pop in your blade of choice, tighten up and away you go. Can't help feeling that if you're having to faff about ensuring blade exposures are constant & equal there's something going awry in the manufacturing tolerances. Which is a gr8 pity as I do really like slants & for me they've always functioned very well.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

For my part, I think that's probably the reason. Now, I'm no engineer, but I doubt that it's impossible to produce a razor to a tolerance which would prevent the difference in loading shown in Gravy's photos.

I have been machining parts in a wee workshop for years using worn out and cheap equipment. Last year i started making a sterling powered displacement engine just to see if i could. The result was that with enough care i managed to machine all parts to within a thousandth of an inch, merkur have far more sophisticated machinery and control systems than me and should be able to produce consistant quality. For me i think you have a duff razor that escaped quality control and it should be sent back for a replacement, you really shouldnt have to fanny about to get the blade to sit right

daz said:
chrisbell said:
JohnnyO said:
Any chance that this is related to that hoary old fave ........... Merkur's quality control over the last couple of years ?
The 37c & 39c slants I had in the past & the Hoffritz slant I presently have don't (& didn't) require any special loading procedures. Just pop in your blade of choice, tighten up and away you go. Can't help feeling that if you're having to faff about ensuring blade exposures are constant & equal there's something going awry in the manufacturing tolerances. Which is a gr8 pity as I do really like slants & for me they've always functioned very well.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

For my part, I think that's probably the reason. Now, I'm no engineer, but I doubt that it's impossible to produce a razor to a tolerance which would prevent the difference in loading shown in Gravy's photos.

I have been machining parts in a wee workshop for years using worn out and cheap equipment. Last year i started making a sterling powered displacement engine just to see if i could. The result was that with enough care i managed to machine all parts to within a thousandth of an inch, merkur have far more sophisticated machinery and control systems than me and should be able to produce consistant quality. For me i think you have a duff razor that escaped quality control and it should be sent back for a replacement, you really shouldnt have to fanny about to get the blade to sit right

Thanks Daz - my dad is a retired engineer, so I suppose I have some insight, though, for a variety of reasons, I haven't followed his career path. Given that there are loads of threads on B&B on how to align the blade in a Slant, plus threads on ShaveMyFace and by our own Voltstick on the Facebook group The Big Shave (where he posts as Darren Webster), I suspect that it's more of an annoying quirk common to a decent percentage of Slants, and that I'd probably not get very far complaining. It's known to Merkur, as one of the B&B members emailed Dovo/Merkur and was told that te blade should be aligned with the head, with instructions on how to ensure that it loaded that way. Given that, I'd have thought that putting n instruction sheet in the packaging would be useful, but they don't.:icon_sad:

BTW, in case anyone doubts me:

Slant bar - loading the blade

On the geometry of the Slant

Question on loading Slant bar

I suspect the parts of the razor we are talking about are stamped out, not precision made - so the degree of accurate fit will depend on how worn the cutters are - but I know nothing of production engineering.

Is this whole discussion about a bit of slack in the head and confusing to look at geometry and the solution was to send the defective razors back - starting long ago?

What is for sure, I shave with a slant and a nice, mild blade in the morning!

cheers for those links chris, some interesting stuff in there and there was a tip in there (and losethebeards suggestion) thats pretty much nailed the problem for me... it was to keep the blade square and even with the cap while screwing the base plate in... bingo! its not ideal when ive got a new razor and it takes a bit of faffin about with, but i have a high tolerance of things like that and my merkur 34 ive been using for years has always needed a little attention when putting a blade in to get the gaps right so it wasnt entireley a surprise to have to faff with this. i think if id paid more money for it and it was something like a tradere or a joris id have sent it back, but there was no guarantee i could send this back and not have another sent to me with the same problem. i can live with a little faffing about, in the scheme of things its not a such a big problem :)

isaiah53 said:
cheers for those links chris, some interesting stuff in there and there was a tip in there thats pretty much nailed the problem for me... it was to keep the blade square and even with the cap while screwing the base plate in... bingo! its not ideal when ive got a new razor and it takes a bit of faffin about with, but i have a high tolerance of things like that and my merkur 34 ive been using for years has always needed a little attention when putting a blade in to get the gaps right so it wasnt entireley a surprise to have to faff with this. i think if id paid more money for it and it was something like a tradere or a joris id have sent it back, but there was no guarantee i could send this back and not have another sent to me with the same problem. i can live with a little faffing about, in the scheme of things its not a such a big problem :)

Good to hear that it helped.

Put in a 7 O'c Green, tightened up and had a remarkably good shave - BBS-est with so little effort - so good I wanted to pamper my face afterwards. But I have discovered why all this faffing about/ the problem with alignment had not bothered me until this thread was started.

First, Chris' mention of aggression in a slant was at odds with my memory (not used my slant in a while, hidden behind some standing-up tubes of cream) but mainly .....

I don't shave with my spectacles on and so I can't see how the blade is aligned! My faith in The Universe pays dividends yet again - trust, and ye shall be shaved smooth and comfortably.

Bechet45 said:
Put in a 7 O'c Green, tightened up and had a remarkably good shave - BBS-est with so little effort - so good I wanted to pamper my face afterwards. But I have discovered why all this faffing about/ the problem with alignment had not bothered me until this thread was started.

First, Chris' mention of aggression in a slant was at odds with my memory (not used my slant in a while, hidden behind some standing-up tubes of cream) but mainly .....

I don't shave with my spectacles on and so I can't see how the blade is aligned! My faith in The Universe pays dividends yet again - trust, and ye shall be shaved smooth and comfortably.

:icon_razz: If I shaved without my glasses I'd lose several important facial features!:s

Back
Top Bottom