Spectacles

Where do TSR members tend to buy their specs? One of the main high street chains, or independent optician? Perhaps buying directly online is another option now.

I've gone to the usual high street suspects in recent years, but I'm now hacked off with nasty, naff and – worst of all – uncomfortable specs. A pair I bought last year are so sore on my nose that I can only wear them for short periods while driving or otherwise seated as walking brings the pain within minutes. I've had to go back to wearing the old ones instead.

They all seem to have the two small pads resting on the nose, which is obviously a recipe for trouble; whatever happened to the fully moulded nose piece of Olden Times? Is there any sort of retrofit solution?

It would be useful to hear any suggestions for places to buy comfortable glasses.

Glasses tend to be a fashion item as well as functional hence the light frames that need the separate bridge support. But fashion this year seems to be for more solid frames so have a look at somewhere like specsavers or other high street shops you might be surprised ?

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses

I use Vision Express who I find are very good! But I've a bit of a tale.

Last year I had my vision check and I needed stronger lenses. I purchased a pair in their Hestom Blementhal range. After a couple of weeks they were falling off all the time, so I went in and they adjusted them again. Same thing happened again twice and they then exchanged them, all with out any fuss. Second pair same thing again. In the end they swapped them out for a different frame, in fact any frame I wanted. So I went for Superdry frames. They are great, I have the Brando ones, I like a solid frame and these sit on my nose and don't move. They even waved off the extra in price for the new pair.

They are the sort with non of them little nose pads to fall off.

I got the feeling their Heston range has caused them some problems, one member of staff even whispered they were crap ! I know I have a big head and a big nose to match, but these simply were falling apart.

I go to Optical Express, have done for years so they have my record & have in the past liased with the optical dept at the RAH in Paisley regarding ongoing treatment. They've always been fine with me, however until he retired I went to an independent optician who had far geater personal relationship with customers.

I use a pair of RayBan frames (heavy tortoiseshell plastic) as I find they are more suitable for the thicker lenses I require. They have built in sections which rest on the bridge of the nose & seldom slip or require resettling when in use. Although not cheap mine have lasted a fair few years now & have had the lenses replaced no probs as my prescriptions have varied.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I'm very short sighted so I like Zeiss extra thin lenses. I take my prescription to an independent company on an industrial estate in Ringwood. I select the frames. The lenses are ordered in and cut to size and fitted on site. Prices are significantly less than the likes of Vision Express and Specsavers. My prescription has changed little over the years so I don't often buy new spectacles now. I've had the present ones 3/4 years.

I've bought glasses from “high street” and “normal” sunglasses and then got them reglazed online for a fraction of the price the high street is offering. Just box them up and send them along with your prescription. I've used and had a good service from glassescomplete.co.uk and like I said it's a very competitive price.

I am a Vision Express person.
My glasses are like these: http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/edd?sku=25056907

However I last bought glasses about three years ago. Not sure what to go for next but I will save up a lot of monies before I do go again!

Vision Express were good. The prescription sunglasses had a very red tinge to them. I asked if anything could be done, and they gave me new lenses with a mirror finish for free, which was nice. They said the darker the lens, the more red they have to put into the glass. Not to worry, next time I may go independent.
I did ask for their advice what would suit me but that didn't go down to well.

I always used to get spectacles from the high street stores for years, then last year i took the plunge and decided to order off the internet

http://www.spex4less.com/acatalog/Ralph_Lauren_Glasses_Polo_2071.html

Ordered the above pair (safari - 5003) after spotting them in Boots for £199.
Had my eyes tested at Boots and filled in the prescription online and also scanned and emailed them a copy of the original presciption.

They arrived 2 days after ordering. Perfect pair. Only £79.
Plus at the time they did the thin 1.6 lenses for free (normally an extra £40)
Ordered a spare pair in a different colour - (Black - 5001) - same price.
Cannot fault them at all.

Hiya,

Speh ki ti culs, did somebody say speh ki ti culs? That's how I always pronounce that rather stuffy word, especially after hearing how Jethro Tull says it in this skit/song.

Heh, me and my buddies had tickets for this concert but I blew em off to visit a girlfriend in Canada instead. Yeah, my smaller head was doing all the thinking back then. Always feel a little sorry I never saw the show. (Passion Play).

Anyway, this speh ki ti cul bit will probably not grab most of you, but maybe a few geezers will enjoy it. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wT6fkDg8k Give it a minute to get going.

Apologies for the slight derailment,

Martin

Specsavers for the eye test then the local frame supplier 'specsforless' for the glasses. I wear varifocals with a reaction and it costs very much less with a better selection of frames to chose from,and a more personal service as well.

Even though I have a prescription I will usually pick a pair up from Marks & Spencers usually go with the 1.5 or I nip into Boots the chemist and do the same thing, Opticians are a bunch of crooks.

Back
Top Bottom