St. James pre-shave oil - state of play

Now this may well be an age thing or it could equally be a product thing. My bottle of St.James pre-shave oil mandarine and patchouli refused to pump out the other morning and this turned out to be because the oil is in fact a thin jelly.

It is a jelly now but I remember it as a liquid - oil. It has been sitting at the back of a shelf for a few months while I used up some less liked pre-shave oils and I can't remember what state it was when I last used it.

Do you own a bottle? What state is yours? Thin jelly or liquid?

My guess is that a little heating will liquify it but on a summer's morn - even this summer - I reckon it should pump easily. Mine doesn't! It used to be a favourite so I'm reluctant to dump it without checking it out on the forum.

Bechet45 said:
Now this may well be an age thing or it could equally be a product thing. My bottle of St.James pre-shave oil mandarine and patchouli refused to pump out the other morning and this turned out to be because the oil is in fact a thin jelly.

It is a jelly now but I remember it as a liquid - oil. It has been sitting at the back of a shelf for a few months while I used up some less liked pre-shave oils and I can't remember what state it was when I last used it.

Do you own a bottle? What state is yours? Thin jelly or liquid?

My guess is that a little heating will liquify it but on a summer's morn - even this summer - I reckon it should pump easily. Mine doesn't! It used to be a favourite so I'm reluctant to dump it without checking it out on the forum.

I bought a bottle of this stuff from creightons with the 30% discount code which was flying about on here.Wouldn't pump out when i first opened it to try.Its a jelly which just squirts out once i took that little black top off and cleaned the tiny hole out with a very small needle.The instructions do state that one squirt of the gel is sufficient for a shave

I would have thought that even a thin jelly should work so have you checked the pump itself? I have a similar problem on a bottle of post shave balm - the Norwegian make that escapes me at the moment. When I checked, there was no little tube and it doesn't appear ever to fave been fitted as its not loose in the bottle. I just take the top off and shake some out - maybe you can do the same.

Whatever it is, I don't think you should blame your age.

Aha! I'm guessing the reason they say that one pump stroke is enough is because that is all my pump will discharge - before taking an age to draw more gell into the suction tube - ready for next morning!

My age part of the problem is only about not being able to remember whether it was an oil or a gel! Oh! and a touch of arthritis in my thumbs and I can't twist the pump out of the bottle!

Pictures on Creighton's site suggest it is a gell.

"The instructions", Press? It didn't occur to me that there were instructions let alone that they should be read!! You're not a German Engineer by any chance, are you? (who read the instructions before starting a job whereas a British Engineer regards the instruction book as a last ditch desparation measure.)

Bechet45 said:
Aha! I'm guessing the reason they say that one pump stroke is enough is because that is all my pump will discharge - before taking an age to draw more gell into the suction tube - ready for next morning!

My age part of the problem is only about not being able to remember whether it was an oil or a gel! Oh! and a touch of arthritis in my thumbs and I can't twist the pump out of the bottle!

Pictures on Creighton's site suggest it is a gell.

"The instructions", Press? It didn't occur to me that there were instructions let alone that they should be read!! You're not a German Engineer by any chance, are you? (who read the instructions before starting a job whereas a British Engineer regards the instruction book as a last ditch desparation measure.)
'
I'm not far off my free bus pass only just managed to make out what it said on the back of the box.The St James post shave stuff is pretty good if you fancy giving it a bash.The code is also still active if yourself or anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom