starter straight?

Hi, have been using a shavette for a few weeks to dip my toe into the blood......sorry water, want to buy a straight now as they are no doubt the way to go. Been looking at some of the nice restored ones on strop shop but as i have never used a strop before do not want to bugger up a nice restored piece. Have any of you had any experience of the 5/8" cyril salter razors for sale on the King Barber site for £37.50, if any good thought it may be a better way to get the hang of stropping before getting a nice vintage razor?Any opinions on this, or the quality of those razors?
Thanks
jon

The only way to kill a razor is to take a big chunk out of it, usually by whacking it on a tap. You certainly won't do any irreversible damage with a strop, though you may well wind up taking the edge off rather than improving it whilst you're learning. That applies just as much to a Salter as anything else of course. You can get in some practice with a butter knife by the way, which has the advantage of not being likely to damage the strop.

I've never so much as seen the CS razors, but you hear stories ... Neil has had a few things to say about them here before now, so I'll leave him to chip in if he's passing. £37.50 isn't exactly cheap - I'm pretty sure Neil could do you a shave ready vintage razor of reasonable pedigree for that sort of money, and you definitely need it to be honed properly.

Back
Top Bottom