Stupid Question?

Hi guys

Noobie here.

question - using a DE, should I continually use just 1 side of the blade until blunt? if so, how do I know which side is which?

awaiting delivery of a Super Speed soon, my first ever DE

Cheers in advance

Nope, you should work evenly with both sides. I tend to do about three to four strokes with one edge, turn it round, do another three to four, then rinse. Turn again, repeat process. You'll know by feel when to change the blade.

Ainslie

I don't even think about what side of the blade I'm using. Law of averages says I'll use both sides reasonably evenly over the course of 3 days or so, and at 10p a blade I've got more pressing things to think about. Like what soap to buy next. Or how many 7 o'clocks can I fit in my bathroom cabinet before my wife kicks me.

Canuck said:
I don't even think about what side of the blade I'm using. Law of averages says I'll use both sides reasonably evenly over the course of 3 days or so, and at 10p a blade I've got more pressing things to think about. Like what soap to buy next. Or how many 7 o'clocks can I fit in my bathroom cabinet before my wife kicks me.

Ditto, I never thought about it because I use one side, then change then rinse.

I usually use one side for a short stroke, then the other side for the rest of the stroke. I turn the blade over after 2 days, then replace after 4 days.

This is why some of us started a Single Edge (SE) group. The counting and remembering with the Double Edge got to be too much for us!

But that is an interesting mechanical question. Is there really a top and bottom when we shave or only a Front??

I never bother counting either, also as I remove, rinse the blade and clean the razor after each shave it would be impossible to figure out what side i had used. You will soon figure out when a blade is finished. When this happens I just chuck it in the wheelie bin in my bathroom and put in a new one. Just enjoy your shaving and get your technique right and you will soon figure out what works for you..........

Back
Top Bottom