Stupid Question

Inspired by not being able to explain myself very well in my last SOTD entry, I need some help with descriptive shaving cream language.

I want to be able to use a single word or phrase to distinguish between creams that have a 'name' (eg: Trafalgar, Grafton, St James, Jermyn Street etc) and creams that are named by the actual main scent (eg: Rose, Sandalwood, Almond, Lavender)

I know this makes me sound a little bit thick, but I just can't seem to find an easy way of defining these groups, other than how I have clumsily described it just here.

I think you've described it as best it can be PD, I'm not sure there's an industry specific defining phrase or that they are in groups as such.
If I'm pushed I'd say Grafton, St James etc are "lines" (because they generally have matching products with the same smell) whereas coconut or lavender or almond creams / soaps don't usually have matching colognes so they can't be considered lines. Although that is a bit of a generalisation as there are exceptions.

Maybe Prof has some more exact info on it? But that's my view anyway.

It's a bit of a shame as I've always loved T+H's lavender cream but they don't do that matching sniff so I've had to look elsewhere.

Maybe "generic" lime, bay rum etc for a soap or cream with that aroma; Floris Lime, for example, for a specific retailer whose product has a distinct trademark scent ?

JohnnyO. \:s

Harris Rose Cream
Trumpers Rose Cream
T&H Rose Cream
Taylors Rose Cream
Salters Rose Cream
Tea and Cream cakes
Tea and a cream slice
Tea and custard cream
Coffee with Baileys cream
strawberry's and cream
Trumper's Grafton