Tabac

While looking for some Palmolive shaving cream I saw Tabac Original in the shop. Amazing. Do they still make and even sell the stuff? Apparently so. :s

Curious I opened a package to take a whiff of it. Brings back memories, I have definitely smelled this before when I was young. How does it smell? Well not bad, not bad at all. Warm and spicy, a very masculine scent IMO. I did something I held for unthinkable, took a tube of Tabac shaving cream to the cash register. The lady asked if it was a present, she must have thought I couldn't possibly be buying it for myself. Let's just say I look much younger than I am. :icon_mrgreen: Paid €4.89 for 100ml.

Will be shaving with it tomorrow, let's see how it stacks up against Palmolive Classic cream.

As far as I am aware, Tabac is still alive, kicking and still very much available. I can drive into a a town not far from my house and buy the shaving soap, and the aftershave splash is available in most larger branches of Boots.

Ian

Tabac-wise there's the cream, soap stick, after shave and eau de toilette, (and also a weird concoction for your hair in a green box) available in three different shops within a 5 minutes bike ride from my home. What I find truely amazing is that after all the years the packaging hasn't changed much, if at all.

Although the soap bowl or stick is superb, I thought the cream in the tube was fairly mediocre. Strangely I've never seen it for sale in a UK shop, online or otherwise.

Does it beat Palmolive? No. But make no mistake, it's a very good cream IMO. A dollop of cream lathers up easily in a bowl with a moist (boar) brush. Added a few drops of water and had plenty of good lather for a complete shave. IMO it's just as good as Palmolive, lather-wise. Afterwards it leaves my skin soft & smooth. Excellent!

For those on a tight budget or downright frugal, Palmolive is the winner as it offers better value for money. I paid €1.67 for 100ml of Palmolive. Tabac cream cost me €4.89 for 100ml. Palmolive has a generic scent, Tabac however has that signature scent.

Back
Top Bottom